GT Dyno cruiser build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I go!
So the story begins with me trying to find a decent springer fork for my Sportsman's Flyer frame I got from Santa. Seller from eBay listed the fork as 1" threaded but of course it is 1 1/8 threadless when it arrived. So I figured I'd just go ahead and build a bike out of it. So back to eBay I went.
Screenshot_20210115-112724.png
KIMG0135.JPG

Enter the GT DYNO cruiser build! I am going to be using many GT and Dyno parts for this build. Not a restoration at all though, Rat Rod. I will share the progress as it happens. I am new to bike building and have a lot to learn, should be fun!

Very nice start!! Whos version of the Monark Fork did you get.. the Felt version is superb, and I also have a Sportsman Flyer version on my roller thats sitting in Pat's shop...which Sportsman did you get from Santa?

Very nice start!! Whos version of the Monark Fork did you get.. the Felt version is superb, and I also have a Sportsman Flyer version on my roller thats sitting in Pat's shop...which Sportsman did you get from Santa?
Thanks, I am hoping it comes together nicely. I've been looking at Dyno/GT parts till my head hurts. The fork is a Sunlite Deluxe model, seems pretty nice although I'm going to have to do a little work to it to get it working smoothly.

My Sportsman's Flyer is the lightweight version with the wider 135mm dropouts and also has the mounts for a board track seat. I bought the frame with the intention of making an electric bicycle out of it, the drop loop looks like it will fit a mid drive motor nicely. I have since slowed my roll a bit with the Sportsman's Flyer and have been working on another project I will post here soon. Hopefully between that one and the Dyno project I can have patience with the SPORTSMAN'S frame and really make it as special as it deserves.

Here I go!
So the story begins with me trying to find a decent springer fork for my Sportsman's Flyer frame I got from Santa. Seller from eBay listed the fork as 1" threaded but of course it is 1 1/8 threadless when it arrived. So I figured I'd just go ahead and build a bike out of it. So back to eBay I went.View attachment 149317View attachment 149318

Enter the GT DYNO cruiser build! I am going to be using many GT and Dyno parts for this build. Not a restoration at all though, Rat Rod. I will share the progress as it happens. I am new to bike building and have a lot to learn, should be fun!
Love the Dyno's! Since you are ratting it out, get real cranks, the originals pretty much suck! Saw wheels 4 sale in the threads. Good luck collecting.

Why not. (Maybe even some different BB type - BSA, or hollowtech 2, or Sram) I must admit don't much like the look of OPC. There are chainrings I quite like, but they can be installed on 3 piece cranks as well, right?
Yup, well bmx 3 piece, will need an adapter to interface the spindle.

That's an interesting set up, I hadn't seen one of those yet.
I picked it up at a swap. The sprocket that came on it (not the one shown) said Haro.

Sprocket shown is from an old 10 speed Huffy.

Last edited:
So while we are on the subject of cranks. What about width? I'm not taking about bottom bracket width but between the pedals. Are all the ashtabula cranks the same? I'm thinking not but I really don't know.

In the post ww2 cruiser and mtn. bike and BMX stuff I have messed with the stuff is all mix and match. Only exception is some odd ball mini size opc I found on a couple China Huffy kids bikes.

The used Deuce that I bought had a bent crank . I replaced it with a Sunlite 1pc ( 6 1/2 " ) chrome. Much beefier and better looking. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sunlite+one+piece+crank&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 . See top of page . The pics do not show it well . Looks like the black one. To compare to the original weak one scroll down a bit , and check out the flat bar Fenix ( GT style ) .

Latest posts

Back