"Ground Hugger" Recumbant DIY project from April 1969 Popular Mechanics Magazine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I remember reading the original article in 1969 as a junior in high school. Shop class was my favorite class and I dreamed about building this, but never did. Might want to revisit this in the near future...
I remember the steering knuckle was a universal socket adapter to get into tight places and they filled the main down tube with sand to prevent kinking and distorting while bending. Parts were well within the average home mechanics ability to source or make.
Did anyone on this web page actually build one of these? Pretty darned advanced and innovative for 46 years ago.
http://www.rqriley.com/bike.htm

untitled33.png

199.jpg

Here's a refined version with multi speed mechanicals

bike-4.gif

I haven't built it yet,but I did order the plans to build it.I've wanted a recumbent for years. It definitely has a cool look, I'm not sure about using a flex adapter as a u joint. Lovejoy makes small u joints that I think would work better.
The plans come with an instruction book and 4 blue print style drawings,so it should be easy to build just have to get off my hump and improve my skills.

Man,now I'm gonna have to dig these plans out of the box.

I'll second Devon on that. The few ground huggers built have been known for sloppy steering unless a proper u-joint is used.

I haven't built it yet,but I did order the plans to build it.I've wanted a recumbent for years. It definitely has a cool look, I'm not sure about using a flex adapter as a u joint. Lovejoy makes small u joints that I think would work better.
The plans come with an instruction book and 4 blue print style drawings,so it should be easy to build just have to get off my hump and improve my skills.

Man,now I'm gonna have to dig these plans out of the box.
Did you ever attempt a build?

Nice! I still think that the scariest recumbent is the Hypercycle.
3249.jpg

takes some balls to steal a bike like that. It's not like you can disguise it.
That's the odd part.
I reported it stolen, and my step son and granddaughter saw someone riding it about a year after the fact, but local police still can't find it.

Some people have stolen bikes from this pile. When asked, all of these can be given to you for free.
20191101_175806.jpg

Latest posts

Back