Gravity G29 Single Speed MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger on this one, I ordered the 19" model, aluminum frame with chromo ridged fork. Built a few single speed mountain bikes out of older bikes but this will be the first devoted single speed mountain bike I've purchased, the best of both worlds, kinda like a big bmx bike. Comes with 33/18 gearing and I think that may be geared a little low for the mostly urban riding I will be doing, not sure though as it is a 29er. Hopefully will have it by the end of the week, I think it's coming from Texas.
58ef3f65ff8e8d7337d00e34f7de6158.jpg

Nice. I got some friends who bought bikesdirect.com bicycles; the quality is really good, considering the price. I used to ride a Redline Monocog 29er, which is a fairly similar bike in full chromoly. I gotta tell you, it was definitely NOT like a big BMX bike.... but it was a whole lot of fun in its own way. As for gearing, your 33/18 is probably a good compromise gear....it's at 53 gear-inches, and a 26" cruiser with a 44/22 is at 52". I rode my Monocog with a 32/19 freewheel on trails, and 32/15 fixed on the street. That's about 49" and 62", respectively....so, take that for what it's worth.

Congrats!

Thanks, should cruise comfortably then, I may pick up a 16t cog if the 18 is to much. I also ordered up a set of sealed bearing Reline Lo Pro pedals, lot of good reviews, there's a huge thread over on Mtbr.com on this bike.

PRetty rad that it has a cassette hub, but it's a geared freehub body with big spacers. It's funny, my buddy just bought the fatbike version of the g29 2 weeks ago-- it's called the Deadeye Monster. Same orange color, same dropouts, same cog set up, same style of chromo fork and 6000-series frame, & a lot of the same components. He's lovin' the bike, so far.

Thanks Luke! A fat bike version? I didn't see that, that would be awesome!

You'll like that one a lot. I have a Monocog 29er, too, it's like a 2 wheeled monster truck, but was looking very seriously at the Gravity before I got it. I probably would have bought the G29 if it weren't for family getting me a lot of gift certificates to a local shop that carries the Monocogs. The gearing may be a little low for suburban riding, depending on how many hills you have in your area. NC has a ton of trails that are perfect for SS riding, too.

Latest posts

Back