BO15 Grammaw Patina Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, here she is guys, in all of her radiant beauty!! Glistening with joy, love and a story from yesteryear!!!

She’s a 1962 Ross tank bank I scored from my neighbors trash!!! My mother-in-law is also in the picture!!! :21:

Grammaw lives 2 states away and comes to visit (live with) us QUITE FREQUENTLY. She loves a good bike ride and hates the hassle of packing and traveling with her bike.

She actually has a pretty nice bike shop bike at home that she rides a good bit on rails to trails type paths in summertime. She’s never mentioned it, but I’m sure would enjoy having something to cruise around on when she comes to visit in upstate New York.

I scored this Ross out the trash and on one of grammaw’s visits, I showed her the junky bike and laughingly said I got it just for her!!!!

As I thought she would laugh at the idea or grump at me, she actually started to try to “look the bike into shape.”

I told her I was just kidding and didn’t Know what I was going to do with the bike, but if she wanted me to fix it up for her, I would.

She was all about it!!!

So, I know a women’s tank bike isn’t really the hottest vote getting, contest winning, collector seeking ride a lot of guys are building, BUT, I think I sort of need to do this!!!!

Thanks guys and look forward to the fun!!!!
77B9E9A8-9831-4CAB-B21C-DE8455149A26.jpeg
2BDA6144-91FB-4939-9122-EC2AC5B56508.jpeg

Last edited:
J-dude! You are going to be her favorite SIL after this comes to fruition. Great bike to start with, it's got 'good bones'.
RaT oN~!

Here’s the bike in its current state hanging in the back corner of my basement. I think it’s gained a few cobwebs over the winter!!!

(Sort of like grammaw!!!!! :21:)

It’s uh.... sort of tight here now with a family of 6 doing the COVID thing as can be evidenced by some of my bikes getting stuffed in a corner!!!

I’m just going to shine this thing up and make it safe yet highly usable for grammaw.

I’m definitely keeping the patina, much like I did on my stingray winter build, but instead of using the pearl duplicolor clear, I’m going to spray it with a flat or semigloss clear.

Although these wheels are in really great shape, I don’t want to take any chances and will definitely get new wheels and pedals; I’m going to see what I find when I tear it apart and see if it needs a new crank and chain ring.
7B8BB39F-3D87-4005-ADFA-C9DBB6A07751.jpeg

Last edited:
GO TEAM GRAMMAW!!!!!
You are right, you NEED to do this one!!! Great story.
Love that chainring too!!!!

I'm a huge fan of old Ross bikes. I have a couple of Apollos, a Barracuda, and a Compact done up like a Collegiate, among others. Looking forward to watching this one. Great backstory too.

I actually have a 20" version of yours still kicking around in the basement. Or most of it, anyway... it has been reincarnated and picked over a few times since this pic...
mdlwt01.jpg

Cool motivation! The build-off is a good way to move it along.

Have you ever tried using boiled linseed oil? I think the finished look is far better than clear paint. Just rub on a thin coat and buff it to a nice aged finish!

Cool motivation! The build-off is a good way to move it along.

Have you ever tried using boiled linseed oil? I think the finished look is far better than clear paint. Just rub on a thin coat and buff it to a nice aged finish!
Thanks for your input on this RM!!!!

So, actually, just this weekend I gave the BLO a shot! Someone used in RRBO 14 and I just now got a chance to try it!!!

This is a ‘65 Columbia; it’s over in the build threads.
5DB515CD-2876-4661-AF52-978CF01CB2D7.jpeg

My question is; over time, what will happen with this stuff? Will it get gummy? Will it draw dust? If you use the bike and touch the frame will your hand get oily?

I just put it on this red bike as the finish was just awful and it really made the thing pop. Looks amazing actually!!!! I’m super pleased. For looks any way.

I’d be interested in using it on the patina bike, but I don’t want it gummy, sticky or oily to the touch.

Any input and experience you have with BLO would be greatly appreciated!!!

The main thing to avoid is applying it too heavy (ask me how I know:doh:). It will be gummy as you said. Just put some on a rag and rub it in and then buff it almost dry. If you think it needs more, wait until the next day and do it again.
Also, spread your rags out in a safe place to air dry. Never wad them up, the will self combust!

Thanks
Wow! Gorgeous!
Thanks! I actually did this bike on the cheap. Aside from the headlight, horn, tires and grips, that’s about how I got it!

A LOT of scrubbing, straightening and touch up.

I don’t have much into it at all. I do have a leather cylinder shaped tool bag on the way I paid $20 to hang of the rear of my seat.

Thanks

Thanks! I actually did this bike on the cheap. Aside from the headlight, horn, tires and grips, that’s about how I got it!

A LOT of scrubbing, straightening and touch up.

I don’t have much into it at all. I do have a leather cylinder shaped tool bag on the way I paid $20 to hang of the rear of my seat.

Very nice!

I have a Rollfast that I recently got that I plan on doing something similar with. It is a clean survivor that I plan on adding a tank to and maybe some earlier style Rollfast graphics/paint work.
D57AB11D-3306-45B9-9528-AF7B1057196D.jpeg

The main thing to avoid is applying it too heavy (ask me how I know:doh:). It will be gummy as you said. Just put some on a rag and rub it in and then buff it almost dry. If you think it needs more, wait until the next day and do it again.
Also, spread your rags out in a safe place to air dry. Never wad them up, the will self combust!
Sidetrack alert!
Don't want to turn this into the boiled linseed thread, but I have a question. Has anyone used it on a bike with stickers? My lady still has her little mixte from the eighties, wants to keep it %100 original, down to the "Blue Angel" stickers. They're the reason her dad bought it for her, and must not be harmed. Would I be safer just washing it in soapy water and hitting it with pledge from time to time?

Sidetrack alert!
Don't want to turn this into the boiled linseed thread, but I have a question. Has anyone used it on a bike with stickers? My lady still has her little mixte from the eighties, wants to keep it %100 original, down to the "Blue Angel" stickers. They're the reason her dad bought it for her, and must not be harmed. Would I be safer just washing it in soapy water and hitting it with pledge from time to time?
No worries Matti! Anyone able to add anything here?

So...., you guys are womping me on content!!!! Good grief!!!!

@OddJob already has like 10 pages!!!!

I’m battling here coming down the backstretch of shelter in place with basically 6 adults in a 1200 SF house!!!!

So, before I could get to Gramnaw’s bike, I had to finish the 65 Columbia.

I also had to get the back of my house in order for summer. I had 2 cruddy storage bins that just weren’t doing it anymore. I scored a shed, threw down some pavers and put my son to work assembling this jigsaw puzzle of a shed
40A8D4E1-8F49-46E1-A6BB-54E6B5ACB1B1.jpeg
4F782D88-470D-4AFF-B778-111DB6C31308.jpeg
875F4126-E050-49EF-B3ED-788A6A25E97C.jpeg

I’m also a yard n garden enthusiast and have been keeping up with my lawn and flower beds for the Memorial Day summer launch.

5853A664-C06E-499E-AF71-CFFF58EC153B.jpeg

Then I had to rearrange my basement to pull out Grammaw’s patina Bike.
CBBEA215-E6BA-4D4A-83AA-6730DE2708E9.jpeg
8F88B9E3-7D1C-431E-AC87-5EC32123C94D.jpeg
8B7A1523-005A-40FF-8DFD-CE3E5AFF16A1.jpeg

So now, here’s the starting point. The bike is pretty epic as is. Can’t believe I pulled this out of the trash.
F6C54747-4410-49F0-A591-373C82B656AB.jpeg
4316E0B2-175A-4B37-BD31-0D1BC6F6894E.jpeg
37579B6E-2059-4D59-9FAE-CBAE678EFB25.jpeg
419D952E-2AF9-4CB6-8E53-24C5B8732341.jpeg
7CC2D90E-860C-4D2F-8D53-8D6F4BD29DA6.jpeg
FF1519E7-3B34-440B-9F23-9D26075B9906.jpeg
The
93E9B494-A896-4FC9-8F9B-0C451601C9A2.jpeg
9144DFFD-2329-4EDE-ABD4-FAE045F1E0B4.jpeg
B21ECA2C-0D3A-4340-8377-AED70E25DEF0.jpeg

Hey Jude ( I never get tired of that) , remember, my build time frame is only around a month so my whole thread will probably only be 12-13 pages. You'll catch up! :D

That bike for Grammaw is going to be perfect. Really classic vintage bike, and it's going to shape up as a great rider for her.

RaT oN~!

Latest posts

Back