got me a steer from rear and a meteor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a couple of bikes I picked up recently.
A homemade steer from the rear tandem, skiptooth, the rear sprockets are welded together, has decent coke bottle grips, one decent set of aero pedals, rear wheel is a Morrow hub with big spokes, it needs some work to get it nice, OK LOTS of work, but I will ride it anyway this Thursday for the Coasters BC Tandem Night pub ride.
001.jpg

And I got me a Schwinn Meteor, thats what it sayes in the rust on the chainguard, I guess a 1952 or 53 model, serial number on left side rear dropout is B29162, it has the brass head badge, and S-2s. I got a call from a guy who read the article about the Coasters bike show last weekend. In the article I was quoted as saying that the people who were there had an accumulation of hundreds more bikes at home, but everybody was still looking for cool old bikes. Well this guy,( and a nice 86 year old lady who thought her late 1970s huffy 3 speeds I might want) looked me up and asked me what the Schwinn might be worth, I told him I'm no expert on prices, I looked at his bike, I bought it, $80.
007.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
Wow great finds. Can't wait to see the tandem.
A guy at work had told me about this tandem he had, a year ago or so, and told me I had first debs if he wanted to sell it. He decided he'd sell it, we went and looked at it , didn't know it was home built until I saw it, and the excitement of owning a steer from the rear tandem got to me and I paid WAY to much for it, but I now have it and it will become a pretty cool rat bike some day.

cman said:
both cool bikes. That tandem was done real well. Did you have enough chain for it?
It looked better at a clance, then you notice the slop in the steering rods, the welded and bent double sprocket arrangement. I pulled the cranks to clean and grease, and found that both of them had been widened ( cut in half and brazied back together) to give more wideth for the double sprockets and the sprocket jam nuts don't jam ( threads are junk) everything on the cranks are held in place with the lefty threaded nuts.
It did have a piece of skiptooth chain for the rear sprocket to wheel but it was held together with a piece of wire. But fortunetly, I had skip tooth chain from another homebuilt tandem I got a few years back and had replaced the sprockets and chain with standard chain. I tried to put that skiptooth chain on this bike but the sprockets are bent and spaced to close together and the two chain rubbed together, so for now there will be no front chain. don't need it anyway, I bought the bike to ride from the back seat.

yewhi said:
Love that Tandem, but that's gotta be the worst idea in the history of bicycling! :mrgreen:
I think its a great idea. It allows you to put your girl up front, but not have to depend on her to control the bike by herself. And its fun to watch people who think there is no one up front steering the bike, when you ride alone setting on the back seat.

backpedaler said:
that tandem don't look bad from here - i guess it's an old build - a classic backyard build 8)
Backyard builds, I likem. Sometimes they aren't the prettiest bikes, sometime they are, but they are one of a kind. After all isn't that what we do here on RRB?

Hey Dan...I think that your Meteor needs a bigger basket! A couple of "HE-MEN" must of been the last to ride your tandem...they must of taken it to Topeka and done a couple of Ron Capps smokey burn outs at the strip judging from that rear tire!...GREAT FINDS though!
PAPPY 8)

Latest posts

Back