Gichigami Growler Grabber - Finished!!! Pic on page 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the clear has been curing for the past 6 days and I can scrape it off with my finger nails. ...? I cleaned the frame good with soap and water, made sure it was dry, etc...
Should it take this long to set up? The can didn't mention any curing times.

P.S. this is what I ordered "
Truvativ American-To-Euro Bmx Adapter"

71hNIXUTJiL._SL1500_.jpg

Same adapter that's on my build. Dremel tool and some small files got a nice snug fit... I put a little grease on the cups too. Eliminates any chances of creaking.

The bottom bracket on the firebolt is pretty gnarly, seems I'd be grinding for days to get the adapter to fit. It's too bad nobody makes a shallower adapter for bikes that have cup recesses. Might just have to go back to a one piece crank.

@kingsting What dremel grinding bit did you use to hone out the bottom bracket to make the adapter fit?
It was a little brown cylinder-shaped grinding stone. Mine didn't take a lot of work to get the fit right. There were some edges that needed knocked down. I also sanded the cups with some emery cloth in the spots where I could see they were hitting something.

It was a little brown cylinder-shaped grinding stone. Mine didn't take a lot of work to get the fit right. There were some edges that needed knocked down. I also sanded the cups with some emery cloth in the spots where I could see they were hitting something.

Thanks, I have one of those.
Did you grind down the adapter or the bike's bottom bracket?

I am still grinding away, this is a sloooooooow process....

On another note, I am using Electra Wheels on this build and want to put disc brakes on the front.
Other than how many holes, what do I need to know for buying a disc ready hub? Can I buy one with a quick release? Do they come in different widths, I am not seeing any width dimensions on the hubs I am looking at?

I was looking at this
41TyeClpvZL._SX425_.jpg

This is the info

• 6-bolt ISO disc mounting surface
  • Double contact sealing
  • Super polished bearing races for low friction rolling
  • Light alloy QR lever and nut

100mm is close enough to 4" wide.

If you have an option I would go a hub with standard axle nuts as opposed to the quick release, if your fork is not designed for a quick release (no indent where the lock sits) sometimes the force of braking can drive it down and out of the straight drops because the calliper is behind the axle centre line, best way around that is with a normal nutted axle or if that is not an option have a think about mounting your calliper in front of the fork leg.

Sometimes you may even need those little locking tabs that slip into a hole on the fork behind the nut.

It only happens rarely, but I just wanted to let you know... :thumbsup:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back