Giant Via

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Giant Via since it was new. I had rear hub changed out for a Sturmey Archer 2 speed and a high flange hub in front. I added a Brooks saddle and a few other gadgets. I’m on the third set of tires. It’s a comfortable rider.
I was in the process of adding the Schwalbe G-One tires when a spoke broke. I was cleaning the rear hub with a rag and hear a twang. Never had that happen before but one broke at the hub flange. I replace it today and finished the tire mount. Did some adjustments and went for a spin. The G-Ones ride nice, I used tubes. Need to find some gravel or dirt.
Before and after:
f57fdff04dd3e437644cce1343a6c2a0.jpg

c5a121e9fcee80417f378fd1d843807c.jpg

Before tire change...
f244751784be325bbd4bb58e3264b1a6.jpg

c0e46f93d2884ae0f91ce7c534c48b40.jpg

After tire change...

Sent using Tapatalk

...but, the Giant has twin top tubes :cool:.

And a 2 speed SA kickback hub.
The double top tube design and the raw metal finish were the initial attraction. It was a new bike that “looked old” sitting in the bike shop.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And it's a different color and made by a different maker. otherwise same! :grin:

I don’t know, Giant is a big conglomerate brand and makes a bunch of bikes branded with different company names. My LBS once told me they were the worlds largest bicycle manufacturer. I have no proof though.

Sent using Tapatalk

According to various sources, Giant is indeed the giant in bike manufacturing.
"Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd. is a Taiwanese bicycle manufacturer that is the world’s largest bicycle manufacturer. Giant was started started by King Liu in 1972. Giant has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, the Netherlands, and China.By 2014, Giant had sales in over 50 countries, in over 12,000 retail stores. In 2007, its global sales surpassed 5 million bicycles and US$820 million in global revenue, and by 2012 it had reached 6.3 million bicycles and revenue of US$1.8 billion"
http://www.allrefer.com/15-extremely-popular-bicycle-brands-world

According to various sources, Giant is indeed the giant in bike manufacturing.
"Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd. is a Taiwanese bicycle manufacturer that is the world’s largest bicycle manufacturer. Giant was started started by King Liu in 1972. Giant has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, the Netherlands, and China.By 2014, Giant had sales in over 50 countries, in over 12,000 retail stores. In 2007, its global sales surpassed 5 million bicycles and US$820 million in global revenue, and by 2012 it had reached 6.3 million bicycles and revenue of US$1.8 billion"
http://www.allrefer.com/15-extremely-popular-bicycle-brands-world

Looks like Mongoose is under the Dorel/Pacific corporate umbrella. Although still might have been made by Giant. Bikes are complicated.
“In February 2008, Dorel Industries, a Canada-based diversified consumer products company, announced the purchase of Cannondale from Pegasus for approximately $200 million. Dorel also owns Pacific Cycle which is a distributor of bicycles made in Taiwan and the People’s Republic of China for sale under many historic U.S. cycle brands, including Schwinn, Mongoose, Roadmaster, and GT.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a couple of pics. Swapped out a few parts, the biggest change was changing out the stock cranks for some Mosh/Giant BMX cranks. I lost the front brake and changed to lighter tires (those Michelins are HEAVY) since I shot these pics. It's a fun bike for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back