Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We see these in the shop regularly, Bottom Bracket failure, crank arm bolts stripping, and rear hub failure. Rear hub is the worst because coaster 48 spoke hubs are hard to find and not too cheap. Good idea for a bike but poor execution and that's why it is $149!

Does anyone know which triple tree forks would fit on the Onyx? Thanks.

So far...

I have a Felt Hot Wheels seat, new stem, and custom layback post on the way.

Question.... I have the genesis astra the multi speed version of the onyx and I have purchased some fito trip tree forks but the seem way to small for the head tube 1 1/8 is what I orderd but its to small ... am I missing??

Last edited:
Hi!

This thread is amazing! than you all, is really helpful.

I have a question that maybe is really dump for you, but is a headache for me... I bought this BB (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041X177C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from amazon, that fits perfect in my Onyx and the original crankset and now I want to change the crankset because mine is rusty and old. Can someone tell me what I have to look for to be sure that the crankset is compatible with this BB? Wich is the size of the original crankset of the bike?

Thanks a lot!

Daniel.

I was planning on throwing Suspension forks on my Genesis Onyx gx7, but the threads didn't go deep enough, i need to learn how to thread forks >.> Debating if i want to keep or take off the fenders cuz i feel it might be too much chrome, and if i try to clean rust off those fenders it scratches it >.> I might as well say it's a klunker, rolling on some Bell Kingpins 29" x 2.25" but looking to either purchase some Schwalbe Big Apples or something smoother. Had some Red mtb straight bars on it for a bit but decided to put some bmx handles with a 4" rise. need to check thru my old cranks to see if i have some 175mm i can use, or need to order some, 170mm feels rather crunched in now >.> and yeah i agree the bb is rather weak, so a sealed bb would be good to get too :p Might Post a Pic whenever i can

first post: 140 bucks!
29 Genesis Onyx So I ams gotz motov8ed and just got me 1 BallzMart online
came 2 day 10 min assembly nice smooth ride (BIG BIKE) like every-1 said WHOLE LOTTA good bike for price I ams gonna motor it after fitting the few betterz upgrades this site was my inspiration thanx you magnificent ........ for review and droppin sugx

just picked one up off CL for $65. Should be fun to play with again :cool2:

2m4ofid.jpg

Here's My Onyx 29er, finally got the 175mm crank I wanted, and also purchased a swayback seatpost for him. Riding on some Schwalbe Big Apple 29" x 2" Slicks, they ride so smooth :D And yes I did make a stick shifter out of my gripshift. took off the rear fender in place went a mudflap fender. And on the rear rims i have CDs for Reflectors. Truly love this ride :D Sorry for the poor quality of the pic, used my cell phone

2m4ofid.jpg

Here's My Onyx 29er, finally got the 175mm crank I wanted, and also purchased a swayback seatpost for him. Riding on some Schwalbe Big Apple 29" x 2" Slicks, they ride so smooth :D And yes I did make a stick shifter out of my gripshift. took off the rear fender in place went a mudflap fender. And on the rear rims i have CDs for Reflectors. Truly love this ride :D Sorry for the poor quality of the pic, used my cell phone
That is cool! I hope you can get a better photo at some point, and post it in the "Cruisers with slicks" thread!

Luke.

Just saying, Thickslick make a 29" slick tyre for those who want another option!

Latest posts

Back