'Gas Pipe Special' - Finished at last :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Indi-ain't

A truely inspiring piece....

My wife's Hollywood came with the fork setup backwards like that. There is more load on the spring so makes for a cushy ride.

Been busy getting ready for a family vacation so I haven't had much time to work on the bike. Swapped the bars and stem for something that looks a more board-tracker. Gonna wrap the bars somehow to get rid of the shine and make them blend into the rest of the bike. Twine and lacquer maybe?

PICT7231.jpg

PICT7238-1.jpg

I'm off to BC for a couple of weeks, gonna look for some nice weathered driftwood to make a tank out of....

Re: (Indi-ain't) Name change - 'Gas Pipe Special'

Wow, a not long to go and soooo much to do...

Figured out a fix for my bent seatpost problem (see also the name change). Nothing some steel pipe, fittings and metal-epoxy can't fix:

PICT9266.jpg

Gotta work on a tank and shifter this weekend, will post more pictures when I'm done

Looks GOOD!..That's about the third "fix" for a laid back seat post....And this one is VERY, VERY COOL! 8)

Re: 'Gas Pipe Special' - Update Aug 30

Ok, got a lot to do today. I've been very busy at work all week building up 70+ samples for a bicycle show so I've been too beat to work on the rod...

Time to build a shifter. Got this off ebay and I was planning to attach it to the seatpost but it was too difficult to shift comfortably. The mount is too small to go on the seat-tube so a hacksaw and some steel strapping will fix the problem;

PICT9240.jpg

Found this old lumber spike washed up on a beach in BC. I wish I could keep all of the pebbles and rust but most of it fell off when I was cutting it down:

PICT9242.jpg

PICT9243.jpg

Ok, time to mount it:

PICT9244.jpg

Mmmmmm... the shifter looks out of place...

PICT9316.jpg

An old bell should fix that (mocked-up, I'm still waiting for some epoxy to dry on the real mounting hardware):

PICT9317.jpg

Will post more pictures today as I add more stuff. Gotta finalize the bars and stem and paint them all...

I had a nice piece of Teak shelving that was the perfect red colour for the build but I can't find it anywhere. Time to find a nice old piece of wood a s a replacement.

Mmmmm... nobody will ever notice where I got this from:

PICT9327.jpg

I was up until 1am sanding and staining the tank insert so I forgot to take photos along the way. I found a bunch of old board tracker photos from the 1920's on the internet so I printed them out and stuck them on the tank. Shellac, shellac, varnish, varnish, and more varnish. I was going for that old wall covered in posters look. It came out looking pretty good. A coat of bee's wax to dull the shine down a bit to go with the look of the rest of the frame.

PICT9328.jpg

PICT9329.jpg

PICT9330.jpg

Finally a 1943 leather ammo pouch to use as a tool bag. 10 coats of mink oil and the leather is nice and soft again. A layer of bee's wax to shine and seal it and it's good as new:

PICT9318.jpg

Ok, now for a coffee or two and then I'm off to take a long ride and some finished photo's :)

Ed_Straker's_Rat said:
Wow, a not long to go and soooo much to do...

Figured out a fix for my bent seatpost problem (see also the name change). Nothing some steel pipe, fittings and metal-epoxy can't fix:

PICT9266.jpg

Gotta work on a tank and shifter this weekend, will post more pictures when I'm done

What size is that Iron Pipe? Great idea using th 45 elbow instead of a 90.

Latest posts

Back