Game changer in welding?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is awesome! I have been professionally welding for my entire adult life and still don't quite understand how that works, but if they can do it, that is cool!

It would be a long path down to the local hobby welder I would think, but you never know what other ideas may spring from the planning...

Luke.

I would be concerned with galvanic corrosion of the different metals causing the bond to fail. :eek:

Set your phasers to stun Mr. Spock.

This is an interesting. Technology, as the story says it's been in progress for a while. Will be curious to see what happens with it, gonna be a long time before it gets to hobby welders though.

Sounds good in theory, I can see one of us trying to build one out of a used heart defibrillator, some jumper cables, and some tin foil.

I've done a weld on a frame with 2 car batteries, 2 sets of jumper cables, and a welding rod. Was way out on the trail miles from anything.

That's also how rrbo10 bike jukadi was made.I've been practicing and studying the history of welding the past few months, it's interesting to see some of the old methods.

While the energy consumption is considered less due to the short burst length, since it is resistance welding, the current required to bond two different alloys on the molecular level is going to be quite high. This may be an alternative for vehicle manufacturing, etc, as mentioned. However, for those of us without a 480v 3-phase outlet at home, this may not be an option. And in the off-chance that you do have your own power grid, the capacitors required for these bursts will likely be larger and more costly than what you can fit and afford for home use. But at least the technology is there. A computer would have filled my house years ago, but now I have one. Maybe this will become something else to aggravate me in the future. I hope it constantly bogs down, requires frequent updating, and maybe an AV program. Or it will go into shutdown mode just as I walk up to use it.

I've done a weld on a frame with 2 car batteries, 2 sets of jumper cables, and a welding rod. Was way out on the trail miles from anything.
You were miles from anything... except for 2 car batteries, jumper cables, and a welding rod. I think those are the 3 main components in Chuck Norris' beard trimmer.:banana:

You were miles from anything... except for 2 car batteries, jumper cables, and a welding rod. I think those are the 3 main components in Chuck Norris' beard trimmer.:banana:
Off road trip with several friends. One guy was smart enough to bring welding rods and had done this bush-fix before.

Off road trip with several friends. One guy was smart enough to bring welding rods and had done this bush-fix before.
For some reason I took it to mean that you were on a bicycle miles from anywhere. Makes more sense now. I've welded with car batteries before, but there's no fun story or anything. I just wanted to see if it would work.

Funny story actually, me and a friend being two thrill seeking but rather broke guys decided it was a good idea to get a few rental 4wd vehicles and go to Moab, Utah off-roading. I got like a '94-ish Jeep Wrangler and he got a much newer Toyota FJ cruiser. We both had a blast but I broke the rear leaf spring hanger coming off a rock and had to weld it back on.

Latest posts

Back