Galaxy Flyer. Is it anything?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a clue about year and if its desireable?
Western flyer - galaxy flyer.
2021-B

has a cool star sprocket

seems to be all there and original. Decent shape!

if its a common relatively worthless Bike. I am probably gonna jump the ape hangers and banana seat from the newer cheap schwinn to this and throw any caution to the wind

Attachments

• 7076C62D-02C5-4D5C-82D6-7F2B480605CF.jpeg
    7076C62D-02C5-4D5C-82D6-7F2B480605CF.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 26D4408E-9DC9-457F-A3BA-8D5A8B75B2E1.jpeg
    26D4408E-9DC9-457F-A3BA-8D5A8B75B2E1.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 34267D5F-0FE0-47C8-BE09-69D6E1066BE7.jpeg
    34267D5F-0FE0-47C8-BE09-69D6E1066BE7.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 127
Late Cleveland Welding Co. patterned AMF. Fairly common basic step-thru, not particularly valuable, but not trash either. Nice parts bike,or just use it. Decent rims and fenders, the star sprocket is definitely a popular piece.

!f its a common relatively worthless Bike. I am probably gonna jump the ape hangers and banana seat from the newer cheap schwinn to this and throw any caution to the wind
Caution, meet wind. She'll look pretty cool with that twisted ape bar and a banana seat. Maybe strip the fenders and stuff on a set of the biggest tires you can fit in there. And don't ditch the license plate

Caution, meet wind. She'll look pretty cool with that twisted ape bar and a banana seat. Maybe strip the fenders and stuff on a set of the biggest tires you can fit in there. And don't ditch the license plate

Only thing that is missing is seat clamp.
Got one ordered. Seat post is a tiny dia. Probably gonna saw off the tapered part and it should work great With banana seat.!

license plate obviously stays!

Those AMFs didn't use a seat clamp, the stem tightens like a handlebar stem. A regular collar won't work unless you cut a slot in the frame.
That's a 60's bike, the serial number on the dropout by the rear axle will pinpint the year. Made in Arkansas. But even in showroom condition would be hard to get a hundred bucks for it. While women's and girl's bikes don't hold much value in the market, on the AMFs like that one, the parts are interchangeable with the boys bike. It's all the same size. Many of the womens bikes are cannibalized for the good parts. That's where you could see some profit, in the good parts, if you originally got the bike for free.

I'm honestly considering building "step through" customs (they're not girl bikes!) because the frames are so available. One member was struggling to GIVE away a couple. That sounds Matti priced, and for casual cruising the frame will be fine.

Those AMFs didn't use a seat clamp, the stem tightens like a handlebar stem. A regular collar won't work unless you cut a slot in the frame.
Later ones have slots and clamps, not sure when they changed over.

Later ones have slots and clamps, not sure when they changed over.
1956/57 was the period of physical transition from the Cleveland Welding factory in Cleveland to the new factory in Little Rock Arkansas. It has not yet become clear to me exactly when production ended in Cleveland and when it began in Little Rock. Likely there was some overlap.

i bought it for the “drop tube” and it was cheap ($40) I am a 39 year old ironworker that will only ride a cool looking bike. And my legs and back dont work like they used to.

also. Is it possible to make this thing a 3 speed without breaking the bank

thanks for

Yep, the Nexus 3 with coaster brake. You can get the hub with shifter for about 75 bucks.
I considered that before I went with a 2 speed kickback. I've had these on my cruisers in the past, just a shift cable is added, braking is still by pedaling backward. I found mine on an old cruiser on fb and just swapped it to my bike. Extra parts from the other bike too. It's wider at the axle but it's fairly easy to make adjustments to that old steel AMF frame. That's how to do it on the cheap, but you can get a new one, but it needs laced up to a rim.
1592449920399.png

A 2 speed kickback hub will go right in the frame as it's narrower but there's the cost of having the wheel made up.

Need to do the 3 speed hub thing but as of now...its good to go! Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 84D1865B-4B84-4D14-8B8A-4D35766F1032.jpeg
    84D1865B-4B84-4D14-8B8A-4D35766F1032.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 108
Looks good, I love these old AMFs they are cheap and approachable and they have great frame geometry that can be traced back to the late 40s Roadmaster Luxury Liner. I do think you need some tassels though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back