Fuel tank repair/resto

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This could also be bike related if there are any owners of Whizzers or similar here. I'm looking for a place I can take or send a fuel tank to to get dents removed, leaks repaired , etc. I've searched online, but have not come up with much. There used to be a shop in my town that did this sort of thing , and at low cost as well. It's not a big tank, but not tiny either, about 24"x8". Am I searching the wrong thing by typing in fuel tank repair? Are there places that do this work that I'm unaware of?

My dad used to drill small holes in tank dents, hook a bicycle spoke in the hole and just tug the dents out-then he'd patch the hole with JB Cold Weld (look for the one that states 'fuel-resistance') and sand it down after it cured. For leaks he would trace the leak, check for rust and seal the leak with JB as above. To my knowledge none of the tanks he fixed have leaked.

Given that I have a MAAP torch, i'd probably melt copper on leaky seams, and do Dad's trick with Drill-pull-fill using copper to plug, or maybe some easily-inserted brass rivets.

It's easier than that. Go to Carquest auto parts and get a gas tank paint kit (for the inside) and find a handful of gravel rocks. Put gravel rocks into tank and follow the instructions of the kit for stage 1 (it includes the cleaner to bust up the rust inside the tank). Remove rocks. Let tank dry. Go to stage 2. Let tank dry. Go to stage 3 and turn tank over several times for a few days.

Latest posts

Back