Front Fork Disc Brake Adapter Issues (for bikes w/o brakes)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coaster Brakes on the Sun Crusher just arn't quite good enough..

so I'm adding Disc Brakes...

I bought a new wheel w/ wheelmasters hub from my LBS, then bought the Ebay Disc Brake Adapter ( here ) , and a disc brake setup...

now my problem is that the disc brake adapter doesn't clear the wheelmasters hub...

what have you guys w/ Beasts done for adapters that used the Wheelmasters hub? It doesn't look like I can grind the adapter out anymore as it won't have enough meat left.......I'm thinking I may have to spend a few hours in a bud's machine shop and make my own in order for this to fit/work..... :sigh:

Link to the picture: http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0Byehu9rMNiEcdHpRZm93UG5Wb1JNWkJQcmVzeWZkVFlmQnB3

Last edited:
The fix is simple. You need to toss that quick release axle and install a nutted style in order to safely use that mount.

The pic below is the nutted axle version of your hub.

318q0WK4BBL.jpg

Last edited:
When I ordered my hub, that's what I thought I ordered. But ordering one with sealed bearings, gets you a quickrelease version I guess.

Any other mount options? Other than the one I already bought?

I don't think the solid axle one is available right now. Can you weld? or do you have access to some basic metalworking tools? you could make one that bolts to the dropout somehow and maybe straps itself to the seat stay. Or you could weld that one where it needs to go, but that would ruin your paint in that spot.

I'm trying to avoid having to weld on a tab...to paint it the only way I would be satisfied, I'd have to go buy matching paint at the store and would prolly cost me 80-120bux for a quart of single stage including hardner & reducer.

Right now I'm planning on spending a few hours in a buddies machine shop and making an entirely new one out of 1/4" SS plate and re-using the existing fork strap and follow the same basic design. The Wheelmasters hub I have has two flat spots on the end that I'll make the adapter slip over to secure it to the hub.

I think that's my best bet.

I agree. You can always drill and tap a couple 5mm holes in the dropout to secure it.

they want the fork end to sit on the quick release shaft that goes thru the hub. They assume its strong enough because it gets squeezed between the drop out and the QR nut.

They want to you put it on the outside of the dropout, not between the dropout and the hub. At lease thats what it looks like.

Hard to say if it really is strong enough...

Some factors you may or may not have considered:

There are 2 different kinds of fat front disc hubs--- ones with rear offset and ones with fat front offset-- about a 5mm difference.

Also, disc adaptors are notoriously bad; I think the added $$ a fat fork with disc mounts would cost would more than make up the headaches you'll have installing and maintaining the bad kludge that an adaptor creates.

I got it figured out. Took lots of cutting/grinding. Cut the end that fits over the axle off, drilled a hole in it to bolt into one of the bosses on the fork. Then ground down the bolt head for clearance. After that it just took some grinding on the bolts for clearance among the moving parts. All I lack now is to put on the brake handle itself then have a cable made to fit.
razezuvy.jpg
nata3edy.jpg

the only other issue I have is that the 160mm rotor barely gets pinched by the caliper....I'm wondering if I should have a 180mm rotor..

I bought a second adapter to make sure that I had the right one....and the second one fit identical to the first one...

some brake calipers have an adaptor thats marked, 160, 180. So you take the shaped alloy part, thats bolted between the caliper and the fork, or in your case, the bracket on the fork. And turn it round. Might not work. Worth a try tho

On a fork like you have, no mounts, I have used seat post clamps that fit the fork leg, a lot of filing, drilling, tapping and the like. To make my own mounts, they work good, just take time.

Latest posts

Back