From one to three Manton & Smiths in a week!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got an unknown frame off EBay last week died some internet looking and some comparisons on the welded frame to my known Manton & Smith welds,seat & chain stay bends were identical the web search turned up a link to Western Tire & Auto Stores Silver Shield brand.....wait a minute I have one of those a 41 I believe and it's frame is a perfect match to the one I just go...thought I had 1 really had 2 and now the new one makes 3 ! Weird !
nzcp.jpg

t4idi.jpg

dscf1819.jpg

dscf1818p.jpg

Measure the frame on your Silver Shield. It might be the camera angle but it looks like a shorter 16" frame instead of the standard 18". Gary

Gary both frames match and measure from bottom bracket to top of seat tube 17.75" the silver shield is a favorite of mine to ride it seems like a longer cockpit than my other frames. I guess I'm drawn to Manton & Smith bikes. I would like to find out where in Chicago the were produced.

Powdercoated the bare M& S frame on sunday and started its build up 7 spd Nexus coaster Electra wheels and Gyes sprung leather seat to go on it.
RkQpQV.jpg

Won't be touching the patina bike it was all there but the other two were just frames and the blue one was sand blasted when I got it. In addition to wheel stripes I need to do a headbadge I may take libertys and make it a Manton & Smith Silver Shield Chicago il.

Latest posts

Back