From a coal shed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working from home has meant I have gained an hour and a half every day that I formerly spent commuting.

Working from home has meant I have lost an hour and a half every day that I formerly had all to myself.

ACtC-3cYxvDhOnWTDWfKY41XSLrW3umb3DOETQbMnY9KqN5gmTHjmvM78gDPFyjRY5xYTCZJxmvmo8y-1diP3zcVovaWTPrfFLcELE7IDbztHjsdDkuyYuq_go1w4CeN_aYDUqLejg0pzJbGy7ilh5rZ7nmZgA=w1288-h967-no

Romet Turing 2 and Romet Jubilat 2, in classic Communist Poland red with aluminium fenders

To gain some time for myself I decided to pull out the two bikes we have had lurking at the back of the garage for 15 years and try to get the better one ready for the road, for some healthy exercise in the sun. The plan was to rob one of all the better parts from one to get the other looking and running as best as I could. The first flaw in all this was that the more I removed from the secondary bike the more I preferred it to the one being 'restored', the second was that once it leaks out that you are a 'bike man' you can be inundated with them.

I am a bit of a minimalist, and will try to use what is closest to hand rather than go to the store for new parts. I also believe that procrastination is often badly misunderstood by impatient people, who see it as some kind of laziness. Sure, so people can be lazy, but we need time to figure out what it is that we want to do. Our brain's are efficient, and when we have to do something it efficiently takes the shortest path and sees what we have in memory. This means that almost everything we do is not original but someone else's idea, someone else's thought. Procrastination is a process where we try to automatically disregard whatever our brain efficiently serves up from our memory or, if pushed hard enough, from some friend, book or Internet source, and instead allow the subconscious to observe everything we have and make links that can be deemed an original idea.

Now our impatient friend not only thinks we are lazy but, now we have actually done something, childish - because no one is supposed to 'do it like that'. Their flaw is that what we have done is also a bit sexy, and then when other people start to take notice they can begin to be proud that their friend is 'out there'.

Other than that I have lived in Poland for 25 years, and my bike of choice is the Romet Jubilat, a folder, which along with its stablemate the Turing, have kept rural Poles on the road for generations.

Welcome to RRB!

Latest posts

Back