Freshened up (rare?) Ross Mt, McKinley

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
rossmm01.jpg

Finally stopped messing around with this bike and got it out for a few pics. I knew it was a decent bike but it's been next to impossible to find info on it. Here's why:

"Ross" the bicycle company, in it's original form, went out of business and sold their name in 1989. What happened after that is not all that well documented, although from a mountain bike standpoint it is fairly well known that they produced some very nice "Signature Series" bikes in the mid nineties, that I believe sold near the $1K price point almost 20 years ago. Unfortunately, since this bike has Deore DX components on it it was almost certainly manufactured between 90 and 93, between the time Ross went out of business and Rand started making the Signature bikes (94-95).

The Mt. McKinley was always the top of the line Ross mountain bike. I did manage to find a blurry picture of the front of a 1991 Ross catalog which looks to have this exact same bike on it, unfortunately the catalog is being sold by BBC bikes, and I refuse to pay $40 for it. I'm fairly confident the bike is a 1991, and from what others remember from the time, it probably sold in the $700 range. I'm not positive, but I think at that time the DX group might have been the top Shimano mountain group, which was later demoted to 2nd in line behind the XT group. The frameset is a Sakae Litage bonded aluminum setup, also hard to find info on, but the info I have found suggests it was held in high regard.

None of this stopped me from throwing a set of Streamliner tires on it, of course. Even though they are shot, I did retain the original Ross MTB tires that were on it.

More pics:

rossmm02.jpg

rossmm03.jpg

rossmm04.jpg

rossmm05.jpg

rossmm06.jpg

rossmm07.jpg

rossmm08.jpg

rossmm09.jpg

rossmm10.jpg

rossmm11.jpg

rossmm12.jpg

rossmm13.jpg

rossmm14.jpg

rossmm15.jpg

rossmm16.jpg

rossmm17.jpg

Sweet bike, sorry, I don't know about it. My brother-in-law's grandad had a Harley shop with a bicycle shop in the back where he started working at about 14 years old. They sold Ross stuff, but that was pre-sell out.

I've got this on Craigslist right now for $395, and will probably be going to eBay with it soon. If someone here is interested, or knows someone that might be, I can do a lot better on price, but have to start somewhere and it's hard to negotiate up :lol: .

May also consider local trades of bikes, either classic or mountain/BMX, or anything I can flip. Not really wanting to do a distance trade unless its something I really want, but if you have to have it I can ship for actual shipping costs, US only.

Nice! Reminds me of my Diamondback mountain bike (similar components), I put a set of 26 x 2.125 Kendas on mine.

image-159_zpse5c67ce3.jpg

I had a guy email me that saw my Craigslist ad and said he had an identical bike he was going to put up for sale, and found my ad when he went looking for the market value on his. He too had difficulty finding information on it, and had lost the links to the info he did find since he had done it a number of years ago, but the one thing that did stick in his mind is that the bike retailed for. $1100 - in 1991! I guess that's good news.

Latest posts

Back