Free Raleigh Winner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the family scrap metal merchant stopped in front the von Zach residence and this fell off his lorry:

pic001.jpg

My newest foray into the Reich of the pitted chrome, the perished slugwalls, and the peeling stickers. Oh don't we all adore it?

This is what it looked like roughly ten minutes after it had landed:

pic002.jpg

Gone is the hideous rubbish made from a material they call "plastic", the heater pipe insulation used on the handlebars, and the various reflectors the poor thing was festooned with. Safetey, you know.
Pumping up the tyres was all that was needed to make this bike fully functional! I can't understand why people just toss something like this.

The rest was just two hours of elbow grease:

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

pic005.jpg

pic006.jpg

pic007.jpg

Not sure how old it is. It's on 27" Rigida Superchromes and has Weinmann sidepullers. It is pre Shitmano era, the chain twisters are by Simplex. The chainset looks rather newfangled though (I am old enough to shrug, when someone says 'vintage' in conjunction with stuff from the 80s. For me, that's newfangled), but it could have been added at some stage.

What do the experts say? 70s? 80s?

Verry nice..I like the Black/Silver combo..I still like the fenders as well..LOL

The mudguards just had to go. With them the bike looked like something Graham Norton would ride.

I did some research and comparing it with below catalog page, the bike appears to be remarkably original:

raleighwinner.jpg

The earliest record I can find so far is 1981, and by 1984 they had changed the colour scheme.
The derailleurs are simly 'Simplex'. No Sachs Huret, or anything. And by Jove, no Shitmano, otherwise the bike would have gone straight back onto the lorry.

Latest posts

Back