Frank N. Stine - updated pics 7-2-08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to make myself one of those bearing cup presses, great idea. I usualy use a 2x4 and a big mallet, this looks much better. Thanks...Kelly

fast eddie said:
FrankN.Stine363.jpg

I love the lights.
But everytime I look at this pic I keep hearing Number 5 is alive!

duuuuuuuude, it DOES look like number 5!!! well both of my boys will be with thier mothers this weekend, all my yard work and house work for the week are done, saturday i go get the right size tire for my rear wheel, disassemble and rebuild the front wheel, finish mock up, disassemble, andfinish work to frame..........i HOPE anyway. i also have more pics from my last session, had to grind out some material from the rear drop outs so that they'd accept drop out protectors, i like to use those when i can.

theres also a bicycle swap meet at peddlers sunday and im gonna go look at an old bike that i saw in someones front yard, he says its a "Stellar" from the street all i could see is that its old, truss rods on front. rack in the back, fender with a light, we'll see. maybe my next rat rod build off will really be ratty!
fast eddie outty

i like to use these dropout protectors on bikes whenever i can...
FrankNStine373-1.jpg

but of course the dropouts wouldnt accept them so i had to grind out some material
FrankNStine383-1.jpg

while i was at it i did alot of finishing work to the frame to smooth edges and corners, it was a cheap frame to begin with so i assume thats whey it seemed so rough
FrankNStine393-1.jpg

i put the 3M abrasive pad into the drill press, this made it alot easier to use on smaller stuff like the chain ring. i tried using a huge chainring that i pulled off of an excercise bike but it was too big to use without making frame modifications.
FrankNStine403-1.jpg

this is casper, the ghost that haunts my chop shop
FrankNStine413-1.jpg

i took alot of digging to get all of the rust off the chainring and the chrome looks like it got dug into enough that im afraid it might rust really easy, even after polish and stuff, so im gonna give it some clear coat to match other parts you'll see in a minute.
FrankNStine433-1.jpg

the drawer full of goodies!!! its got even more "cleaned up and ready to mount" stuff in it since i took this pic
FrankNStine443-1.jpg

these are the pedal i took off the excercise bike, they leave a lil more room to be creative than the ones i took off the bike originally. on the left is how they looked "before" and on the right is after some disassembly and clean up. im not exactly sure what im gonna do, but i have some good ideas i think.
FrankNStine453-1.jpg

i decided on a different set of bars, these mountain bike bars will give the bike more of a "bobber" feel on the front end - especially with that cool springer fork, i stripped the paint of the bars and the stem with the 3M pad, but it couldnt get into some of the tighter places on the stem. it ended up looking cool so i went back and
used the abrasive pad to make even "scratches" on the bars and stem, and im clear coating it. bare metal babee! i took this pic before i stripped the stem to show what the handlebars looked like before i stripped them.
FrankNStine463.jpg

welcome to my "paint booth"!!! notice the patina on the trees!
FrankNStine473.jpg

first 2 coats of clear coat today while i still had daylight.
FrankNStine483.jpg

i drilled some holes into the head tube. im gonna put white reflective tape on the steer tube so hopefully it will show through, dont know if it will or not but it'll look cool either way - i hope! these are pics of the left and right side of the bike and both show the front. i used different sized holes and kept them symmetrical in their spacing from eachother. this took forever! tap, drill small hole, drill bigger hole, drill biggest holes. theres only 9 holes but sheeeesh!
FrankNStine493.jpg

FrankNStine503.jpg

this is the front wheel that came off the red bike i pictured earlier, its a 27" wheel and very dirty w/ some bent spokes too.
FrankNStine513.jpg

diiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty hub..........
FrankNStine523.jpg

clllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan hub..............
FrankNStine533.jpg

diiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty hub assembly............
FrankNStine543.jpg

clllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaan hub assembly...........
FrankNStine553.jpg

not exactly sure what im gonna do with the front hub, but i have some good ideas i think
FrankNStine563.jpg

today i got the right sized tire for my rear wheel and a few more lights. tuesday i pick up the seat post i had bent for this bike. i should be ready to start the last mock up before i tear down for paint. i also need to figure out where to hide the batteries for the lights. i used the pedal arm assembly off of the excercise bike too cuz the one originally on this bike was just in too bad a shape, but the chain ring is the original. i also boutght some acorn nuts for the rear wheel and some other fastener hardware that will be decorative. its comin along slowly, but she's getting there! i pick up my younger son tuesday and he'll be home for a week straight so i prolly wont get much done over that week, but thats cool too! fast eddie outty

.... Duddde, Ur not supposed to use The abbrasive thing on the Chromee! It will rust now probably.. It looks nice now but dont do that no morre.

Oh i love the bike too, The flipping holes in the head tube look AMAZING!!! :)

Re: major surgery may be necessary

fast eddie said:
i have a problem, i have a reeeaaallly cool springer fork for my project, but the head tube of the frame is too long and when the fork is installed there is not enough thread at the top to secure it correctly. im thinking of using my table top cut off wheel to take some head tube off from the bottom, any suggestions? i have some new mock up pics but its after midnight so ill post em later. please help w/ good advice about the head tube!!!!
fast eddie outty

dont touch the tube. cut a piece of 1 1/4'' black gas pipe the length you need, remove the lower bearing race, slide the pipe on the tube and p;ut the bearing race on and you are good to go. you still have a good fork. a plumbing shop will cut one for you if you dont have a way of doing it.

rickster your totally right, there wasnt any other way to get the rust off i just didnt like the way it looked, but as soon as i realized my error, i sprayed it with two coats of auto clear coat to keep the moisture off it, i hope that works, bein all scratched up it def looks ratty! thanks for the compliments all!
fast eddie outty

I love the bike DOGG, but I got too say we must be longlost REDNECKBROTHERS because my paint shop is also out on my front lawn!

ive tried to keep the overspray on the side of the trees facing the house so that ya couldnt see it from the street!

i took my front wheel apart and i got the new spokes yesterday, then last night i cleaned up the rim and re-laced the wheels. im gonna try to true it myself, ive never done the truing myself so we'll see how it turns out!
fast eddie outty

ok, got some work done. i relaced the front wheel with new spokes after cleaning up the rim and cleaning/re-buildng the hub. it is a 27 inch rim with a 1.25 inch wide road tire. i rarely (if ever) see these narrow tires on these beefy forks so i figured id give it a go. i wanted a fat back tire and a narrow front tire for kind of a drag car look. the frames seat stays will allow a 3 inch wheel, but the chain stays will not. to get even the 2" wide tire on it you see here i had to use a 24 inch rim instead of the 26" size that was originally on the bike, but i think its lookin cool. guess who dropped in to check on the progress of the bike??!!
FrankNStine613.jpg

im probably gonna go for some "body" work on this bike, i have some material (freebies - stuff no longer used at my print shop) to use, and im thinking that a frankenstein graphic would be cool, plus i could put the batteries for the lights where frankensteins neck bolts would be so i wouldnt have to hide batteries, i could work em into the theme of the bike - problem solved! lil eddie really likes helping me, im glad!
FrankNStine583.jpg

the seat post i pulled off the excercise bike was long enought to fit into a tube bender so i had it bent. this type of seat post is becoming a common feature on my bikes, i really like the way it looks. this seat post still needs to be cleaned up, im gonna run the scotchbrite pads over it and clear coat it so that it matches the bars, stem, and chainring. that big comfy seat ROCKS!!!! it came off of a folding bike that donated parts.

im considering some other additions, but im pretty happy with the way its coming along. i have come cool pedals but i havent figured out exactly what i wanna do with em yet. i put a hand-twist lever on the seat tube clamp, and that clamp will be painted with the bike. im also considering some more "body" work behind the seat tube, i dont have a template yet cuz i havent exactly figured out what im gonna do, the pieces i have to use are not as big as the template ya see on the bike here, but ill figure something out, thats part of the fun of rat'n!! i have to get the rear wheel trued and i dont have a chain, but Frank is comin right along!

FrankNStine603.jpg

FrankNStine593.jpg

on the rear drop outs, mounted to the holes where the fender brackets originally bolted, is a pair of bee lights that match the ones on the front, it'll look cool when its done. theyre kinda hard to see in my dark garage, ill make sure to take pics in the daylight outside next time, i swear the bike doesnt look as rough inperson as it does in these bad photos!! keep up the good work everyone, im having alot of fun seeing what everyone is coming up with, and y'all are making sure im bringing my A game!
fast eddie outty

Lookin' sharp Eddie. Looking forward to more!

Latest posts

Back