found my next rat rod project today for $20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the local flea market this morning and saw a guy just about to leave with an old bike on his truck so I stopped him and bought the bike for $20. It was this old Murray. It will be my next rat-rod. I have a ratty looking light stashed away that will go on the front fender. I love the rear racks on theses things.
20190913_110816.jpg
20190913_110826.jpg
20190913_110838.jpg
20190913_110902.jpg

The rear rim is obviously not right so I suppose the whole wheel, hub,rim,and tire has been changed at some point. I hope to find a rim to match the front one. I'm thinking a green paint with cream pinstripes and some patina, to match my Studebaker truck, cream colored rims with green pinstripes and possibly green tires or green wall tires. I think I have a period correct seat in my collection for it also. I'm surprised that there is no hole in the rear of the rack for a reflector?
This heap might not be worth more than the $20 I paid for it, but I love it. The fellow I bought it from said he had a "few more old bikes at home" and took my phone number. He is supposed to call me later today and I will go see what else he has.

The same bike that hot me hooked(+ this forum)
Mine had green under the same red overcoat.
It's funny how quickly we get ideas after buying.
In the first picture is that your Thumb Thom?:giggle:

Yeah, lfd, that's Thom's thumb. I was trying to block out glare from the Studebaker windshield. Neat old saw Klunk. I'd be tempted to restore it though.
I love the big fat fenders on my new old bike with the peak in the middle of them. I wish someone hadn't painted it. How many times have we said that? I'd gladly give another $20 for the original seat too. But like I said before, I have a seat that will do. Thanks, all.

There is only few years that have the collar at the toptube-seatpost junction...but, I can never remember which few years they are :). Latest of '40s through earliest is '50s.

If that showed up on my local CL, I'd be running for the door with a lot more than $20 in my pocket :grin:...great score :thumbsup:.

Latest posts

Back