Forum Icon Art (Critique Needed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, for the past few months I've been working on this little custom icon for my bicycle profiles on The C.A.B.E. and Rat Rod Bikes, and I've about got it to the point where I'm ready to take this into Adobe Illustrator and clean it up. I was just making this to use online, but I want to use it in my portfolio too. Before I begin the final cleanup and rendering, I'd like to see what you all think of it. While I feel it's ready for the final step, I want to see if there's anything that you think would make my design better, or if it looks great the way it is. Any and all critique and feedback welcome!
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 7.33.33 PM.png

It's a good little logo. Only concern for me would be legibility of the text. Already difficult reading the "teeth", scaled down to 1/4" avatar size, it would disappear. Maybe thicker black lines between letters...

* I was a designer in a past life, studied logo design for a couple of years in college, spent a few years designing for print before family took over. These are nit picky observations, it'll still work as is, just had perfectionism drilled into my head!

It's a good little logo. Only concern for me would be legibility of the text. Already difficult reading the "teeth", scaled down to 1/4" avatar size, it would disappear. Maybe thicker black lines between letters...

* I was a designer in a past life, studied logo design for a couple of years in college, spent a few years designing for print before family took over. These are nit picky observations, it'll still work as is, just had perfectionism drilled into my head!
Thanks! That is something I've been concerned about myself. It looks great at this size, but it is hard to read as a tiny 100px100p avatar. I'm just concerned that thicker black lines would make the larger scale version of the logo look ugly. I have a few ideas of how to work around this. Instead of this being an avatar design, I could instead utilize it as a fantasy t-shirt design, like maybe a rat rod bike show or something. Another option is to just use the skull with bike "eyes" and no lettering as my avatar, but use the detailed design as a watermark or something for photos of my bike projects. It's a design with a lot of potential, I think. I just need to play around with it more.

I'm actually trying to get a career in graphic design/illustration/animation, as I graduated college about 3 years ago with a related degree. Problem is that there aren't a lot of openings for graphic designers where I live, and the few places that are hiring don't want to hire and train someone with little work experience. And honestly, I'm the same way! I've got OCD and ADHD, and both serve as a blessing and a curse when it comes to my design work. I tend to want my work to look perfect as well, but it often leads me to spend too much time in all the wrong areas, and ultimately get nothing done. I'm still learning how to tell myself when "good enough" is good enough.

Thanks for the critique, Matti!

Latest posts

Back