Folding Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folders is a weird ask, they’re all so different! I’ll start the questioning at: what wheelsize?

I didn’t know there were different wheel sizes. I’m looking for adults who want them for their boat when they travel to a couple islands. So, they want the compact ones. Probably 20”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since 1973 I have had at least 20 folding bikes. Most were off the shelf but I did have 2 custom built Bike Fridays. These. however, were more of a disassembling bike for transport than actual folding bikes. There are a lot of considerations for folders. New/used, wheel size, steel/aluminum frame, single/multispeed, internal geared hub/freewheel with derailleur, chain drive/belt drive, how it folds and where. Also, how heavy the bike is and where you are going to store it is a factor. How you plan to use the bike is a factor- short trips/longer rides, flat/hilly terrain would determine whether you want a single or multispeed bike.

Brand name bikes are more expensive (trendy Bromptons start at $1000) but generally have dealer support and parts availability. No name bikes can be problematic, particularly if they have non-standard parts. I check out Ebay every day and find that many used folders are greatly overpriced (particularly DaHons). I would say figure out what you are going to use the bike for, if you want single or multispeed, and how much you want to spend. Just remember, going too cheap could be more costly in the long run. If you think you might want a new folder, I would recommend CITIZEN BIKES. They only make folders, are well made and designed, and are reasonably priced. I have the Barcelona model.

I didn’t know there were different wheel sizes. I’m looking for adults who want them for their boat when they travel to a couple islands. So, they want the compact ones. Probably 20”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember visiting a lot of the Islands near Sandusky as I grew up. Kelleys island, Put in Bay and the Bass islands. There were 8 of us on a 22ft sailboat. We rented tandems on Kelleys Island and they held up to my brothers and I riding the heck out of them. 1963 or 64 Schwinns. I remember all the places we stopped having bikes to rent, but that was back in the 60's.

Right now all bikes are in high demand. Even used bikes are getting prices jacked up. New bikes will have a guarantee, so I would recommend that to your friends.

I remember visiting a lot of the Islands near Sandusky as I grew up. Kelleys island, Put in Bay and the Bass islands. There were 8 of us on a 22ft sailboat. We rented tandems on Kelleys Island and they held up to my brothers and I riding the heck out of them. 1963 or 64 Schwinns. I remember all the places we stopped having bikes to rent, but that was back in the 60's.

Right now all bikes are in high demand. Even used bikes are getting prices jacked up. New bikes will have a guarantee, so I would recommend that to your friends.
Quite a few boating destinations will have bike rental shops. I worked the summers of 73/75 on Nantucket Island at a bike rental shop. Once we had 2 bikes come in for repair that had sailed all the way from Japan lashed to the deck. Needless to say they were quite corroded and weathered.
The rubber brake pads had hardened to ceramic consistency. As these were home market Japanese bikes, parts in the USA were non-existent, so there wasn't much we could do to fix these.

Latest posts

Back