RRBBO13 Five Points

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, thanks for the info Jason and @MazdaFlyer . Do either of yours have the grease ports on the BB and head tube? I've yet to find a serial number on mine as its under a couple decades of grime.
Man that pic makes me realllly want some cross brace bars....

Aslo, I've noticed my frame is a lil outta wack. The rear triangle is about 3/4 of an inch off to one side. So I've got to straighten that up.
The threads on the fork I am going to use are pretty toast and need to be rethreaded as well.
I gathered most the parts I aim to use on this build last weekend. Mock up pics coming soon.
No Alemite fittings on any of my frames. The Musselman hubs on my ‘40 Elgin have the grease fittings. The hub is coded as being built in ‘39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the Alemite Lubrication system was an Elgin exclusive...

"Another feature that was introduced in 1936 is Alemite lubrication.
The hubs, head tube and bottom bracket shell had grease fittings for a grease gun that came with the bikes.
The first Alemite hubs were made by Morrow."

Jason

No Alemite fittings on any of my frames. The Musselman hubs on my ‘40 Elgin have the grease fittings. The hub is coded as being built in ‘39.
Hmmm...all the catalog ads list it as a feature for all 'full-size Elgin bicycles' from '36 to '39. It is still listed as a feature for the '40 model with this frame, but I haven't found full page scans that would have said 'all bicycles' like the previous years. It isn't listed as a feature on the '41 model.

Jason

I believe the Alemite Lubrication system was an Elgin exclusive...

"Another feature that was introduced in 1936 is Alemite lubrication.
The hubs, head tube and bottom bracket shell had grease fittings for a grease gun that came with the bikes.
The first Alemite hubs were made by Morrow."

Jason
Interesting. The alemite deal, among other more obvious traits were why I suspected Elgin to begin with. I appreciate the help Jason!

I was just forking around with the earlier pics of bmx style forks. If anyone’s familiar with my usual builds, that would just be the easy route for me. So, no bmx, strandie, 80s Cruiser influence on this one.

The idea here is a kid found an old bike in the 50s, and built what he could with what was laying around.

C6CA22D0-9B94-4EE0-A3B8-A0BB6F6F1FE0.jpeg

Cool fork. I've always liked those truss brackets made like that.
Cool fork. I've always liked those truss brackets made like that.
Thanks TRM. I've always dug em too. I'd love to get my hands on a Schwinn pair... attached to a model C. Someday. I got these from @kingfish254 quite sometime ago. Not sure the make on them. They've always been intended for this frame, just never got the project off the ground.

Love to see trickle down parts. @josh_from_ga got that fork in a bulk pick that he did a year or so ago. Then I a got the leftovers and passed some of them on to fellow RRBers like you.
Looking forward to seeing them on the bike.

Wassup with this one? Any more progress?

Wassup with this one? Any more progress?
Just got back in town last night from a 8 day bike tour down the coast of California!

So now I can actually start to tinker on this one... starting next weekend. I don't much wanna mess with bikes today.

I had previously dug out and test fitted fenders. Gonna take a lil tweaking to get the Monark ones I wanna use on there, but they will match nicely.
I also dug out and set aside some era appropriate tire options. Prob go with a mismatched G3 set (black wall/ white wall) but we'll see.
I've also been thinking of ways to make my own parade bars....

Love the frame even the chain guard,sort of goes with the stem...
It kinda does! Not sure what gaurd I’m gonna use yet. But I haven’t counted that one out.

Dug the fenders out. Now that I think back on it, I believe they are of cwc origin.
BED930A0-8D39-4114-9213-69DFD4DA453D.jpeg

Got a few cool layers of paint on em. Will match the mismatch of this all nicely.

What's the schizzle on this rat-izzle, Dizzle?
Good timing to ask! Just loaded the forks in my car to go get the threads on the steerer tube re-done after work today. I should be able to start assembly tomorrow!

Wedding planning has been weekend priority lately. Which is also part of the 'don't spend a dime' theme on this one :bigsmile:

Got the frame nice n straight. The rear triangle was kicked out to the left. The fork was also a little twisted. Got it straightened out nicely too.
Fork and deco stem installed. Lil mock up-
07E674FB-D659-44EF-8284-303E03012E4E.jpeg

I’m not sure on these fenders. I like how trashed the front one is, but it doesn’t sit right. The bottom brace is at an angle I don’t like.
These peaked my interest-
9A0C04DE-1086-4600-899D-471C0C3D42E8.jpeg

Might end up runnin these.

Last edited:
Crank/chainring options-

image1 (1).jpeg

I don’t have much in the way of pre-war, or even pre 50s. And since I definitely want to run skip tooth, it narrows the options in my stash.

Next was the wheel set. Out of these two, pretty sure I’m going with the nicer condition drop centers with the marrow rear hub. I think I will be using the vintage rubber shown though.
image2 (1).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

Also landed on a chain guard. Will need a lil fixin as the piece that connects it to the down tube has broken off, and the piece for the chain stay sits way too high.
image4.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with a Monark paisley, but I like that lazy heart (i think that is one of the names for it). However I always thought they would look better sweeping back rather that frontwards.

Latest posts

Back