First Confession

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was baptized Catholic but never recieved Communion or Confirmation. I've been taking RCIA courses become a 'card carrying club member' as my boss put it.
Today I will have my 1st Confession in 46 years of 'heathenry'. I don't ever recall be this nervous about anything in my life. Wish me luck.

And next Tuesday I volunteered to do a reading at the Chrism Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Norwich Ct. Best to take it one nerve racking event at a time, I guess.

RELAX...Congrats!

Ej599, that's awesome that you are completing the process! I too have been taking the rcia classes and I am prepared for my Baptism, Confirmation, and first Communion at the Easter vigil this coming Saturday. I am excited and nervous at the same time, so I see where your coming from! It's nice to see a fellow soon to be Confrimed Catholic on rat rod bikes! Congratulations on your upcoming events!

Nice to hear I have company here Dune-man. Confession turned out to be an incredibly uplifting experience, like a giant weight was lifted from my shoulders. Good luck at the Easter Vigil my friend. I get Confirmed this Sat. night at the Easter Vigil also. Nice to know I wont be the only one on the site doing it.

Here's a link to St. Patrick's cathedral in Norwich CT. where I'm doing a short reading tomorrow. It is the mass where the Bishop blesses the Chrism. It is the most beautiful church I've ever been in. Only 2 sentences but I have screwed up simpler tasks! :lol:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuy5bL7FLZ ... rwich.org/

Well my short reading at the Cathedral went well. There weren't many people there only about THREE HUNDRED!!! Not to mention Every Priest (at least 60 plus the packed Cathedral) from the Norwich Diocese renewing their vows and the Bishop. But no pressure really.... :shock: :shock: :shock: What a beautiful Mass though, with an amazing choir, giant pipe organ, violins, trumpets, etc. Went about 2 hours. I may take a vacation day next year and go again , it was that good. Easter Vigil should be a piece o' cake after that.

CONGRATS! CONGRATS! CONGRATS! I just went through the RCIA process last year. Its a great feeling. First confession was scary but it was amazing. I had the privilege to be one of the altar servers this year at the Easter vigil. I am now working as a sacristan for a university Catholic campus center, and its really helped me grow in faith. I plan on applying as a seminarian after I graduate.

Its great to have you with us Brother! :mrgreen:

I read an article a couple years ago about the Pope accepting Charles Darwin's philosophy. He said he did this because too many Protestant evangialists preach creationism. Do Catholics accept the theory of evolution now?

Pope places some faith in Darwin's theory of evolution

Reported by Richard Owen, from Rome

THE Pope risked the wrath of the religious Right yesterday by declaring that Darwin's theory of evolution was compatible with Christian faith. In a message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, which advises the Vatican on scientific matters, the Pope said the theory of natural selection was "more than just a hypothesis".

https://notes.utk.edu/bio/greenberg.nsf ... enDocument

I used to believe a Christian could believe in evolution, too. I believed in evolution ever since the 60's, but called myself a Christian during most of that time until I began to question what a Christian is supposed to believe in. Now I call myself an agnostic.

Cycledelic68 said:
I read an article a couple years ago about the Pope accepting Charles Darwin's philosophy. He said he did this because too many Protestant evangialists preach creationism. Do Catholics accept the theory of evolution now?
Some do....Some don't....The MOST important thing is that you know who your Savior is, ...... I don't think this forum should be used to debate theology, but you asked. The Catholic Church will agree with science, if science is PROVEN to be right. After all the "laws of science" are the "laws of God". Remember we used to think that the earth was the center of the Universe, and everything revolved around the earth. We used to think the earth was FLAT, and we could fall off the edge. The danger with taking Scripture to literal, is. What do you do when the laws of science (laws of God) prove you to be absolutely wrong? Now what? For example: On the first day...On the second day... etc. That would make the earth about 6500 years old. If science were to PROVE beyond a doubt that the earth is BILLIONS of years old. Would that PROVE the Bible to be wrong?...NO!...It would mean it was just misinterpreted. .."On the first day...second day etc., should have been interpreted as "On the first BLOCK of time...on the second block of time, etc. Also the people of ancient Scriptures would NEVER have been able to comprehend a "billion" years. It was put into literal form of "days" to teach the importance of "resting" on the Sabbath and worshipping GOD on that day. GN 2:3 "So God blessed the seventh day, and made it holy, because on it He rested from all the work He had done in creation."..Does anyone really think that God was EXHAUSTED, that He needed to REST?.............I'm not going to go on for hours, or pages.........But let me ask anyone. Do YOU believe the earth is 6500 years old? Or, do you believe it is BILLIONS of years old?....It's not important to me....I KNOW who my Lord and Savior is! :D

I take issue with the fact that Darwin was an atheist and based his theory on this position.

But like you say, this is one of those subjects that's just going to stir up a bunch of heated discussion and probably isn't necessary on this forum.

I'm going to suggest folks take this discussion offline if you want to take it any further. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
I'm going to suggest folks take this discussion offline if you want to take it any further. :wink:
Absolutely!.......There are plenty of other "forums" for discussions like this. I just want to look at bikes. I don't care who made them, atheist, agnostics, christians..............and the list goes on... and on. :lol:

The original intent of the thread was not to debate theology, just to share with all a signifigant day in my life. For a Catholic, Confirmation is rather important, right up there with Baptism and Marriage.
Thanks to all my fellow, proud Catholics and others for their regards. Congrats to Dune-man and Hoodoo and good luck to both of you on your respective journeys. Also like to thank Kota for answering that question better than I ever could have.

God Bless,
Doug

I evolved from earlier men. :wink: Or devolved. :mrgreen: How long was God's day without the earth? Do you believe God is restrained by that which men have written about him, believe about him, or can even comprehend? Allegories and parables can be completely true, AND completely false simultaneously. :?
Word.

I remember back in the 60's when my mother made me and my brother go to Sunday school at a Methodist church and my brother used to wonder who Adam and Eve's children married. He later came to the conclusion that there were more than one set of Adams and Eves and their children intermarried. I told a former Catholic priest about the idea of more than one set of Adam and Eve and he didn't throw a temper tantrum. It doesn't say anything specific in the Bible that only one set of original humans existed. It seems to be something that is assumed by a lot of people. I've talked to plenty of Christians about religion in person. They seem to be more open then others. Jews, Hindus and Buddhists seem to be open to religious discussion, but don't proselytize. I found a lot of Muslims seem to be afraid if you ask them any religious questions. I guess I have to remind them that I don't belong to the religious police.

Hi Doug,

firstly may I congratulate you on your news,well done.

I am a true non believer in any religion. Although I have utter respect for anyone that follows their own true faith. Good luck in the future and remember to be Christian and not just be a Christian.

Respect, al. :D

Latest posts

Back