Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Breakdown+Cleaning

Patina preservation... what will you do? Higgins (which you saw last week) was preserved with linseed oil.

yoothgeye said:
Patina preservation... what will you do? Higgins (which you saw last week) was preserved with linseed oil.

Once I get to that point I probably will use some sort of oil like that. No clear coat.

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:

Once I get to that point I probably will use some sort of oil like that. No clear coat.

Look into linseed oil, it preserves it but it also dries.

The greasy old rag used for cleaning is something I do a lot! Works really well, glad to see I am not the only one.
Just remember to keep it well away when welding or grinding, once they get going... :shock:

Luke.

Can't wait to see what you do over the the first weekend of the BO. Monday is going to be spent surfing all the posts to see what we all did!

I have my official BO8 shirt now.

I also have this shirt for some of the wing work for the tank.

Cool wings. So, where are you using 8s this year? Top secret? I have one so far on my Origin 8 cranks, and at least one more to come. I know you'll come up with something clever.

Critter1 said:
Cool wings. So, where are you using 8s this year? Top secret? I have one so far on my Origin 8 cranks, and at least one more to come. I know you'll come up with something clever.

I guess I could change the name to FireWing 8. :p
I could always use a classic R.E.M. song "Driver 8"
Right now I have an 8 ball shifter that you can see in the mockups. Possible a couple more that will be more subtle. You know me, Mr. Subtle.

how the heck did i miss this one?
+1 on the banana seat. kinda looks like a "cobra" motorcycle seat
le_pera_cobra_seat_for_harley_softail_with200mm_tire0613_detail.jpg

I could always go this route.

ChopperSeatWP_001441.jpg

Nice patina, Kingfish! :mrgreen: I like your style... 8)

Thanks guys. Right now it's in the break down and clean mode.
Is it just me or does anyone else find it therapeutic to take a bike apart and clean all of the parts? Especially an old bike. When I was removing the crank last night, I couldn't help but think that these might be the original 60 year old bearings. You also have to play a little Encylopedia Brown (Boy Detective from my childhood) and try to decipher the life that the bike has led.

To some it would be boring, but give me a wrench and a beer and I'm a happy man.

CHEERS TO ALL OF MY BUILD BROTHAS!!!!

kingfish254 said:
I have my official BO8 shirt now.

I just noticed the the apes cut off some letters on the shirt. Looks like Build OI 8.
Kinda reminds me of ZZ Tops Greatest Hits strategically place light

mqdefault.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Critter1 said:

I guess I could change the name to FireWing 8. :p
I could always use a classic R.E.M. song "Driver 8"
Right now I have an 8 ball shifter that you can see in the mockups. Possible a couple more that will be more subtle. You know me, Mr. Subtle.

Well, then you'd have to get an Alfine 8 hub. Or, I could sell you the wheel I built for last year's bike with the Sturmey Archer 8-speed. But the SA hub is geared too high for a 26" bike, 1st gear is 1:1, and all the others are overdrives. Probably great for a Dahon, not so much for a ballooner.

I actually have a Nexus 8 on a Dahon mU Sport, but it is 32H.
I figure that I won't worry about the 8s so and shoot for 8th place.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Frame Cleaning Finished

Finished up the cleaning of the frame. I am very pleased with how it turned out. Cleaner, you can now tell it is black, and it still has a nice patina to it. The creme/white headbadge area turned out nice. The Three Star DeLuxe downtube lettering lightened up a little bit, but I was careful. I can always touch it up just a bit.

Here is my blacktina frame

yoothgeye said:
Look into linseed oil, it preserves it but it also dries.

Is there a difference between linseed and boiled linseed oil?

I've been using Pledge furniture polish with nice results.

KF, glad to see you intend to keep the patina. 8)

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Frame Cleaning Finished

Thanks.

I received my pinstripe brushes and the shipper jammed them into a box small box so the the bristles were all bent up and haywire. How useless is that.

Latest posts

Back