Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - First Real Mockups

So my brain is trying to figure out how you're going to get your "normally" radical builds
from a lot of traditional parts and rusty patina, Hmmm...

How about red wheels, Cream Thick bricks, and nanner seat?
Wasn't sure about the nanner seat at first but now I like the lines it creates
I've got to say after riding a few nanner seats now (as an 50+ adult),
if you want to ride it comforably, suspend it or increase the padding :lol:

Re: FireWing - 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe

inshane64 said:
inshane64 said:
Reserved to post high-fives and compliments for one of my favorite builders.

Oh man those are some awesome part! are you gonna try to patina match the tank?

Actually the stripped rusty patina of the tank already kinda matches the bike pretty well. But I will be handpainting some FireWing graphics to the tank.

Mr. Kool said:
Something tell me that this year again you're gonna win the "thread with the most pages"contest!!!! :lol:

So far the build thread for Flexy has 112 pages with over 35,000 views. Contrary to others perceptions, it is not full of fuzzy animals with big ears.

Double Nickle said:
Maybe I can swing by this summer an check out the progress first hand!

I hope so, sorry you weren't able to swing by last trip. I had a blast with Yoots when he was here last week.

dracothered said:
Funkme said:
Cant believe your finished!!!! :shock: :roll:

The rust n cream look great together....'Rust is my fave color'
Bars are fantastic...N I think I like the nannnnna ,gives that nasty look... :D
The nanner has to stay...

MplsCoaster said:
So my brain is trying to figure out how you're going to get your "normally" radical builds
from a lot of traditional parts and rusty patina, Hmmm...

How about red wheels, Cream Thick bricks, and nanner seat?
Wasn't sure about the nanner seat at first but now I like the lines it creates
I've got to say after riding a few nanner seats now (as an 50+ adult),
if you want to ride it comforably, suspend it or increase the padding :lol:

Guess I will explore the use of the nanner more. I was kinda leaning towards the springer.

It may not have the crazy freak bike radical edge of Fugsley or the cool engineering and bling behind Flexy, but once I wrapped my head around the cool patina on this original :shock: FireWing I like the different challenge of keeping it "rat". I still have challenges ahead on this one, some technical and a lot of unknowns about how well or bad I can paint the flaming feathers and graphics AND make them look weathered too.

I don't think I have seen anyone do creme on red rims, I'll have to google that or try it. I really want gears and I like the 356 shifter on the seat tube, so if I go with red rims, I will need to lace them up with one of my Nexus 3's. Don't think I am going to go as far as a Nexus 7 this year, even though I have quite a few of them now :p . My El Guapo whitewall bricks may work on this frame too if I use smaller width rims than the Felts.

Has anyone found a source for ribbed glitter vinyl? I seen the smooth stuff, but nothing that is ribbed like the old nanners. It would be nice to cover it in a deep dark red glitter.

Talk to one of the boat upholstery shops around there. I know what you are talking about, but I'm pretty sure that stuff was molded that way just for seat covers, to replicate it you might need to have a tuck and roll job.

yoothgeye said:
Talk to one of the boat upholstery shops around there. I know what you are talking about, but I'm pretty sure that stuff was molded that way just for seat covers, to replicate it you might need to have a tuck and roll job.

I found online that all it takes is some stiching to make the ribs. The glitter vinyl is easy to get, just have to get someone to stitch it. That is, if I go that route. The seat decision is a ways off.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Breakdown+Cleaning

Broke down the bike tonight.

Reference photo to make sure I put the springer back together right

The bike is definitely a original black bike, but when I pulled off the fork the steer tube has this gold on it. Curious.

A lot of the patina on this bike is dirt and a even a bit of greenish mossy something. I don't want to mess with the original paint, but I do want to start cleaning it. Let's see what I uncover.

Love the 3-star graphics on the rack

While I had the rack off, figured I should mock the nanner on it. I know a lot of people like the nanner, I am just not sold on it yet.

Layers of dirt on the BB

Just started cleaning with some light scraping of dirt, then Mean Green, Simple Green, bristle brush, sponge and my 2 year old grease rag. Does anyone else use a greasy rag to clean stuff? I have found that when you use one like a polishing rag, it really grabs and helps remove different crud.

Here are some of the cleaning efforts. I only did the drive side seat stays, chain stays and BB so far. You can see the contrast with the left side. Still good patina and good black paint.

Here are some before photos of what I still need to clean.

nateyboy said:
Check this: eBay item 310659857719

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. It seems a bit pricey, but who know. Maybe I get some glitter vinyl and roll a hot metal wheel across it. :p

I just noticed the way that the seat tube was actually slid through a hole in the top tube. Pretty cool.

IMG_2077_zps978fe9bf.jpg

I like look of the springer seat with the rack
or the nanner without the rear rack
although the rack design wise works with your bike maybe you can attach the rack on the front
run the narrow part under the springer and attach it to the downtube then mount your flamed skull to the front of the rack

I'm liking this one right from the get go.

Those black fatti-o's look perfect under the big fenders 8) 8) ....reminds me of the look of an old '30's shovelhead.

Lookin' great so far! I have a soft spot for this exact bike. Picking up the same model lead me to this site! :lol: I had the same odd coloring on my steerer tube only it was blue/gold. Maybe we get to go to the Wonka factory now! :shock: :lol:

Ah, so it's black. I wouldn't have guessed that from the early photos. I take it, then, that you aren't going to paint it? I've been on the fence about that with mine - whether to leave it all as is or to repaint the frame. I wonder if the gold on the steer tube is evidence of some early rat rodder swapping parts around. Where there versions of the 3-star that came with a springer, or was that just for the 5-Star Superb? I see also that your frame graphics are different than mine. Does your bike have the integrated kickstand? Some of the later versions seem to have lost that.

It was very hard to tell what color the paint was from the build up on this frame. I am very glad that it's black. No plans to paint the frame, just clean the dirt/grime part of the patina and go from there. Maybe I should change the name to Gobstopper.

Here is a beautiful example of one from cabe with tank and springer. I am pretty sure that mine is pretty much all original except for the tank. The integrated kickstand is in great shape.

3star1.jpg

Latest posts

Back