Firestone Special Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up this this evening. It's a straightbar Firestone, apparently a balloon tire bike. It definately has plenty of clearance around the tires to the fenders, and the frame width is more generous than a typical middleweight. Also, you can't see it in the picture well, but the rear dropouts are rear facing and have threaded adjusters.

DSC_0144.jpg

I don't know anything about the age or make, but I first was guessing that its a CWC design. At first I thought it was the same frame as a Luxury Liner, but at closer inspection, the straight bar tube isn't quite straight. There's a downward bend at the front end, and how it joins the frame looks different. The top tube is a sharper bend curve. Also, the rack and chainguard are different then I've seen. So, I don't know.

Tank close up:
DSC_0145.jpg

Headbadge:
DSC_0146.jpg

Carrier:
DSC_0140.jpg

Looks Huffman built to me

The patina is outstanding on that bike. The rims have a good matching finish also. I would oil it down and call it a day.

So, I'm guessing it was probably worth the $120. Here's my dilema: I bought it for a project I have in mind - for RRBBO7 specifically - for which I just need the frame and tank, and possibly the chainguard, which would be entirely repainted and the patina and original graphics would be lost. Now, after looking it over, I'm torn... :?

Wildcat said:
The patina is outstanding on that bike. The rims have a good matching finish also. I would oil it down and call it a day.

Seconded.

Find other parts to repaint.. this is one of a kind irreplaceable classic patina.

I've got a girlfriend for this....my Lucy is also a Monark/Firestone Special Cruiser. She's not as weathered....and completely ridable. I agree with the "leave it as it is crowd". Surely, you can come up with another frame to paint, and get a repop tank, or make something that looks like this one. Fiberglass is not that hard to mold around an existing tank....use mold release though.
I mention Monark because my Lucy has a Monark insert on her chainguard, and a Monark decal (well worn) on her seat post, but her headbadge reads "Firestone Special Cruiser". "Special Cruiser "is also decaled on her chainguard.
I'm jealous.....$120 is an awesome price for this keeper.
All that said, if you part it out, I'd be interested in the rear rack....I'm just saying :mrgreen:
btw, Lucy is the same color as this was originally....kinda a metallic blue with the same markings......so cool!

dogdart said:
Wildcat said:
I agree , you have plenty of time to find a bike for the build off

I'm with dogdart! Plenty of time!

You guys are right, I'm sure. If I didn't agree, I wouldn't be having the dilema in the first place. So, I keep searching and meanwhile find another purpose for this guy.

Incidentally, NewOrleansFlyer, this bike wasn't blue. The paint under the rust when I cleaned up the SN areas was red. It appears to me to have been red with white trim and blue pinstriping. It does seem like the top deck on the carrier might have been blue though.

Man that tank shot really threw me. Looks like metallic blue on my computer. Red is awesome and was the "go to" color for boys bikes iin the 50s and 60s......thanks for keeping it in one piece.....

OK, so checking the serial number against the Huffman records, this thing is a 1955. I would've guessed older than that, but no matter.

Now the real question is what to do with it. How would you guys go about preserving it while making it rideable? Overhauling the bearings and such is a no brainer. I'm more worried about the wheels - not sure I want to trust them. I'd have to put new tires on it for sure, the old Firestones that are on it have badly cracked sidewalls. What about preserving the patina?

I bought this bike off of another member on here a couple months ago. I was trying to look up info on the bike on google and ended up back here. Looks like you were the one who brought it to RRB. Just figured I'd show ya couple pics of it part way done, but ride able. Cleaned up the frame a bit so the original red is coming back through some. cleaned everything and regreased it. I didn't get the seat, tank, headbadge or rear rack when I bought it. I have the rims that I'm going to rebuild eventually and put them back on this bad boy. Just figured you would like to see this bicycle back on the road.
Before

After

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back