Firestone Muscle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Figured I would start on my 1966 Firestone GTO.

gto2.jpg

Ads and pictures of the 60's Firestone muscle bikes are few and far between. I've been doing a good bit of research. I've seen '66 Huffy ads and '66 Huffy built Monark ads. Both seemed to have the more traditional banana/polo style Persons seats. The Firestone badged bikes had Mesingers. The seat I have "might" actually be original to this bike, however I can't find any pics that support this. Honestly, I think it is a bit ugly, so I decided to go with the style in this 1966 photo and ad.

Firestone_ad.jpg

66firestonephoto.jpg

Jim (firstyearchevelle) came through with a nice deal on a glitter seat. It has a bit of yellowing, but I think it will work just fine. Jason (Jpromo) offered to give me a headbadge. Can't say enough about the cool people on this site.

longjohn1.jpg

longjohn2.jpg

Parts-wise, I need a nice rear fender, white Firestone grips, a kick stand and I need to figure out my tire situation. I am pretty sure it had Firestone tires, but I am not keen on dropping big money on this project. The back tire on it is a Sears All State slick. I am hoping this weekend to either find a decent front tire to match or to luck into a nice set of Firestones without blowing the budget.
Hoping to get it powder-coated fairly soon and then find someone who can recreate the chainguard graphics.

I think that is about all I need short of labor and elbow grease.

Can't say enough about the cool people on this site.
Have to agree! Many projects would not get finished without the help of other members.
Love the bike, looking forward to seeing more.

Luke.

Latest posts

Back