Firestone 500...not a build, just some tweaking

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this bike up from a Pawn shop last fall. It is pretty awesome!
IMG_3497_zps1ddc70a8.jpg
IMG_9341_zpse560e35e.jpg

But, I can't leave well enough alone...so, a few changes:
That oh-so-sweet seatcover had to go. Somebody named "MICHEAL L." decided his name needed to adorn the faded seat beneath (sorry no BEFORE pic), so, I renewed it a bit with some of my secret weapon, Tulip Fabric Paint from, ironically enough, Micheal's...
20130124_123134.jpg

Then, those handlebars...I just didn't like how straight they are...they didn't flow at all...
Put some nice wide half-moon bars on it
20130124_123121.jpg

MUCH better!
That shed some light on something that always bugged me, but I couldn't put my finger on it...that stem!
20130124_123003.jpg

What the heck?! It's so straight up and down! I think it would look alright on a bike without a headlight like this one, but it just looks funny to me. So, I ordered another stem that will move the bars forward a bit.
Also in the works, a layback seat post and a set of whitewalls are sitting in the garage waiting for it. I got plain sidewalls with the thoughts of possibly getting a Firestone stencil and lettering the tires...maybe the back of the seat where "MICHEAL L." used to be...
We'll see!

Terry66 said:
Pretty bike....looks familiar....Mine now has a killer horn and a set of red jeweled parade struts!

firestone2.jpg
Wow! Your's is in awesome shape! I was bored at work and googled the bike and was checking out that same pic yesterday. Lol. The tires I bought are even the same style your's. That was the pic that cemented the whitewalls in my mind.

Mine was crap when I got it. I mean it was toasty. I bought a '63 Huffy from Jeff (Simpleman) and used the crankset, fenders, wheels, stem, bars, etc. My tins have some surface rust here and there, but I didn't want to damage the graphics. I cleaned it up the best I could. It was my first vintage bike. I found my headlight at a swap meet. Looking at yours, I don't think mine is correct.

You have a killer bike. I'd love to see more pics of the tank!

Here is mine when I got it...

fstone1.jpg

Terry66 said:
Mine was crap when I got it. I mean it was toasty. I bought a '63 Huffy from Jeff (Simpleman) and used the crankset, fenders, wheels, stem, bars, etc. My tins have some surface rust here and there, but I didn't want to damage the graphics. I cleaned it up the best I could. It was my first vintage bike. I found my headlight at a swap meet. Looking at yours, I don't think mine is correct.

You have a killer bike. I'd love to see more pics of the tank!

Thanks! Here's some shots of the light and tank...
20130128_144648.jpg
20130128_144705.jpg
20130128_144627.jpg

Got my stem in the mail today...
Put it and the seat post I made on it. Here's a profile shot before (for reference), and after:
20130124_123003.jpg

20130128_144608.jpg

Seat looks a bit tipped forward in the "after" pic, but when I sit down, it levels out. I think it was just what it needed!
Next...the tires

That bike is turning out great...I like the subtle changes. 8)

What size is your front whitewall tire?

sleepy said:
IronDio said:
It's a 26" x 2.125"

Nice! Looks like what Terry66 also has on his....really fills out the wheelwell. 8)

Yeah, the tread looks pretty much the same too. I have to play with the fender a bit to try to minimize the rubbing...they REALLY fill them out! lol

FINALLY got the rear tire mounted! Took half the time with the new stand!
20130214_192503_zps7378f5db.jpg

Had to move the tire way down in the dropouts to clear the fender! need to shorten the chain now a bit!
I don't remember these tires being a problem on the Oriole...it's the identical frame and fenders, just painted instead of chrome...but, my mind isn't what it used to be either! lol
FirstRoundWithT1i099.jpg

Latest posts

Back