Fender mount help needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C89BCA7B-7191-4E5C-B6A5-50AFFC34AAD1.jpeg
E0E8B689-C4A4-4CCC-9E9C-616849EB8D99.jpeg
189878E8-C92B-4C74-B3EF-90F521A9F10F.jpeg
4D63F346-7705-472F-BBD4-C479777DFF10.jpeg
so I’ve got some fender pieces left over from my 41 Schwinn DX...I’ve got enough left to make a rear fender for my custom ruff electric bike...I like the beat up look of the metal on it so gonna keep it that way plus maybe get creative and add some copper bands and maybe some rivets and maybe some leather...possibly going for a midievel armour/steampunk look..anyway..my problem is how to connect the fender to the bike...there are no holes in the frame right now ...so I may have to do some drilling..but don’t want to unless it’s necessary..and only minimal drilling into the frame preferred...i also have a couple fender braces from my 41 Schwinn that maybe I could use too..I have some ideas on what to do but I would like to hear ideas from some of the more experienced builders on here ..how would you guys mount the fender..thx in advance for any help

I am BY NO MEANS an experienced builder-but I am by nature a desperate scrounger....:grin:

A piece of strap steel (roughly as ductile as the ones that fasten brake arms on the Coaster rims, or just a little harder) will work wonders. Bend two strips of steel 90 degrees and attach to the fender (the easiest method would be to just drill a hole and screw or rivet-a good Industrial or Steampunk look) directly next to each other. Then, measure the distance to your rear fork (and an extra two inches or so) separate and bend each strap on each side of the fork shown in the picture above, drill holes on the straps and use some tiny bolts to hold the straps in place "coaster brake" style. Scratching is unlikely given that fenders are stationary, but you can add some tiny bike-tube gaskets if you want...and the dual straps and bolts will help with that Early Industrial look .

Otherwise you can bike the bullet, drill one hole in the rear fork and attach a simple "L" bracket-but why use the pedestrian Box Store method? :p

Hi, I like to use these fender struts:
fender struts.jpg

Thay attach directly to the achsle. You could secure them to the frame, just in case, by using a metal band (as in the pic) ot just with zip ties, or small L profile to the brake bridge between the seatstays. They should be held safely by the achsle nuts though. They are quite sturdy. Pretty good, they also come in different width (for different fender width) and also for 24 and 26 inch tires. They are attached to the fender with three holes each. This way the fender remains securely in the wanted position.
I like your style. The bare metal fender with the marks on it looks great.
Great frame, what is it?

Last edited:
It’s a a Ruff cycle frame..called the Lucky frame...now discontinued unfortunately...thx for the ideas guys...I think I know now what I’m gonna do..if it works out the way I want it should be cool...

If you don't want to drill any holes, you could use the bracket for the kickstand
and use a one sided brace that holds the fender. The brace would be heavy and wide enough to provide enough support by itself. It might fit right in with the armored look.

Last edited:
That looks like a good idea, you can adjust the fender to just the right height.

Latest posts

Back