Father-in-law xmas presents

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got to talking to the father-in-law about bikes, and got some unwrapped presents in the form of a project. Single red band Bendix (I think that is a good thing?). He also has a complete Columbia Thunderbolt that he says I can have on another trip when I have the trunk space, but I would feel bad about taking a bike that complete! Any suggestions about cleaning the chrome? I will start with soap and water to get a better look before I use anything drastic.

DSC05095.JPG

DSC05096.JPG

DSC05097.JPG

111225_003.jpg

Nice! Both of 'em are sweet bikes. If the peppered rust on the chrome isn't too bad, some 0000 grade steel wool and WD40 or simple green (just something wet to help you out) might work pretty well. Simple green cleans chrome parts pretty well in general, and I like it because it is non-toxic and biodegradable. Just make sure you don't mix it too strong if you are cleaning reallyold chrome and it's best not to leave your parts in SG for extended amounts of time (i.e., weeks :lol: ) because it seems to leech chrome off if the plating is a little weak. I have only had that happen with parts from the 40's back (older than your bike), but all the same. That's probably the mildest thing you could try.

Others have had good luck with oxalic acid in a tub (it's basically deck cleaner), but I have never tried it.

Good luck with the projects!

I've cleaned off the frame and tried some 0000 pads, but the pads only get off about 90% of the rust; the remaining rust are still surface rust, because I can scrape off with a knife or fingernail. The chrome looks great around the bad spots but I don't want to rub the 0000 too much. Would soaking in simple green be the best route next? Is there a how-to on the forum anywhere for simple green?

Try the water and aluminum foil trick. Scrub in one direction though. It works great on surface rust. Peace

Latest posts

Back