Fat trailer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1-wheel trailer, frame made from titanium, 1 fat wheel. Used in the Iditabike last year.

392653388_55226f879b_o.jpg

Welding Titanium tubes is definitely an advanced skill. Stick or Mig won't work. Ti is normally TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welded. You have to purge all oxygen away from the weld area including the insides of the tubing.

There is no real reason why such a trailer would need to be made from titanium. Other materials would work.

1-wheel trailers have been around a very long time, like 80 years. Jack Taylor (of tandem fame) made some in the 1950s but I've seen even older British trailers like that. BOB/Yak weren't the first either but have been pretty popular.

I think the frame was way overbuilt unless they were going to use it for an airplane landing gear replacement somewhere in Alaska.

here is a Q&A with the owner:
http://gearjunkie.com/self-reliance-def ... -in-alaska

Soo.... how many dogs can you carry on that trailer??? Ooops, my mistake..... Iditabike not Iditerod.
Was titanium used for the weight savings?

I think you could carry dozens and dozens of (hot)dogs if you stuffed them inside the tubing.

I'm guessing the owner got it made in ti as a promotional deal with moots.
The owner has a blog with a photo list of all his iditwhatevertheycallitthisyear bikes & trailers over the years:
http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/2008/02/ ... eline.html

Weight savings? Hum, he hauled all his food and fuel for 1100 miles in snow and cold. Claimed 90 pounds of trailer weight at the start. I suppose that includes the trailer weight and supplies and gear.

The odd cap at the top may be a filler cap. Fill the frame with kerosene? Remember the ROKON 2 wheel atv? You could store extra gasoline in the hollow wheel.

Latest posts

Back