Fat tire MRAP build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new Fat Tire A/T cruiser from my local dealer. Super cool bike with nice features. The retail price is right at a grand but comes with all stainless hardware and a rustbuster chain. Aluminum frame and 3 speed internal hub. This thing is a monster and a blast to ride. Yesterday I decided it needed to be modified so I started to tear it apart and turn it into a MRAP [ mine resistant ambush protected vehicle ]
Here are some pics of the bike as it comes and I will add more as I go.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine an MRAP represented as a bike!?

I am watching this thread - sounds interesting!

~Will
U.S. Army 1988-2003
Infantry & EOD

Will
Thank you for your service. I am a Navy Veteran and the Veterans Outreach Director for Team RWB Daytona Chapter. Starting on 9-11 and going until 11-11 Team RWB is moving a single American flag from California to D.C. so my mission is to finish this bike by 9-11 and ride it 4 miles each day during that time frame. The bike is already heavy so no armor plating. It will have the look of an Army type vehicle but it's main purpose is to pay respect. I will post some new pics tomorrow.

Here are some progress pics. The temp and humidity here is slowing my progress but things are moving forward. The frame comes with about 12 cable lugs for various options so I shaved off all the ones I won't be using just to clean things up. The wheels and fork are have been coated in truck bed liner material and then painted desert tan ultra flat to simulate a non-skid surface. Today I will be fabbing the mount for the suicide shifter and hopefully remounting the tires on the wheels. If time goes well possibly mount the rear ammo can.

[URL=http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/miinfluence/media/mrap5_zps339e2e29.jpg.html]
mrap3_zpsc3b28f7e.jpg
[/URL]

mrap1_zpsbc925aca.jpg

Last edited:
Made some good progress over the weekend even with all the rain here in Daytona. Still have plenty left to do before the 9-11 ride this Thursday but it will be done. Here are some current pics. The bottle opener has nothing to do with the military theme but sometimes I get thirsty and it fit perfectly in the bottle cage holes. Should get the ammo canister mounted today and make the bracket for the jockey shifter which will go on the seat post.
almostdone_zps6e40f784.jpg

almostdone2_zps19e2e754.jpg

almostdone4_zps8883d82d.jpg

almostdone5_zpsb9dbc25d.jpg

almostdone6_zpsc6eb3261.jpg

almostdone3_zps0b1df44a.jpg

almostdone7_zps68c846f9.jpg

Well I finished the bike enough to ride it in the 9-11 remembrance yesterday. Still a few pieces need to be completed. Need to find the right grenade to go on the shifter and a couple other ideas but here it is as of now.
IMG_0462_zps6c87c9f2.jpg

IMG_0472_zps4f196311.jpg

IMG_0470_zpscb045a1b.jpg

IMG_0480_zpsb344ab4c.jpg

IMG_0484_zpsada25530.jpg
IMG_0488_zps420289bd.jpg

IMG_0476_zps6cc859e2.jpg

Well I finished the bike enough to ride it in the 9-11 remembrance yesterday. Still a few pieces need to be completed. Need to find the right grenade to go on the shifter and a couple other ideas but here it is as of now.

I recommend the M69 practice grenade, it was easier to hollow out and notch for the Shimano shifter (IMHO). Mine in the cutting phase, slightly reminiscent of the Imperial Emblem from Star Wars:

g1F6VK.jpg

Here is how mine turned out:

vwkHw4.jpg

I deprimed the primer sleeve from the fuze, then counter bored it down about 1/2" to sink the bolt into the fuze so the spoon would still fit. I punched out the striker & spring assembly, as its not needed. I still need to shorten my cable, I am just hesitant as its a permanent mod.

I also think a Flash Bang would make a good one also -or really ANY of the resin copies out there.

I am wary that some nervous ninny is going to call the Bomb Squad on me. Then I will have some explaining to do! :113: :headbang:

Your build is lookin good!!! DO you have an Metal AMMO CAN or Aluminum stowage bin for the back? If not, shoot me a PM and I can hook a BRO up!

~Will

Thanks Will. I like the way you fitted the grenade. If you shorten your cable make sure to leave enough arc in it or it will make shifting harder. I do have a metal ammo can that I am mounting up now and I am moving the bottle opener onto the can so I can rig up a camelback type water bladder where the bottle cage would normally go. Thanks for the feedback. Great job on the racks.

Latest posts

Back