fat tire help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I got a schwinn dolomite as an early bday prezzie,not shaw how I want to customise it,white frame,red rims,was going to spray frame black and do the nostalgia hotrod look but the paint is a nice pearl white so don't want to ruin it,I am after the lowest profile tire that will fit on the 4inch/100mm rim and prefer a whitewall tire,the 26 x4inch are just too big and ugly,would a 26x3 fit?,need some tricks of the fat rim trade here,plus no tires like that here in NZ so any help with cheapest shop that does international shipping from US would be good,cheers

Boags are nice, 3 maybe even 2.125 inchers may fit if ya want stretched. Also check vee rubber tyres i am sure they do whitewalls for your rims.

I know that I have seen BOAs put on 4" rims. I think that I even saw someone put some 2.25" tires on one.

tried one of my old downhill tires which 26x2.2 it stretches to the rim lip but as soon as it pumps up it pulls the tire beads away from the rim lip towards the center so I end up with a 10-12mm gap between tire and rim...grrrr,I was thinking of running a hard flat strip of plastic on the inside of the tire so when pumped up it will pancake out the innertube sideways instead of pushing the tire up

i'm not expert but stretching a smaller tire on a fat rim is not a good idea even if it would work , but how long would the tire last & saftey may be a factor
3" wide tire could work but i would not go any smaller

+1. A lot of tires will fit on there, but if you're going to actually ride it, rubber that is too narrow will roll the bead off the hook. 3" maybe; 3.45" Boa-G tires were mentioned, and I think that might be the best specific suggestion....

i'm not expert but stretching a smaller tire on a fat rim is not a good idea even if it would work , but how long would the tire last & saftey may be a factor
3" wide tire could work but i would not go any smaller
yer by the looks of things it would have to be a 3" but thinking a 2.5 may fit,and thanx for your safety concern,it would be only riden now and then but I wouldnt ride a bike that is unsafe....but close to it

I have ran 1.75 on 58mm wheels. 2.125 on 80mm wheels and currently a 1.50 on a 2.125 on the front of the Switchblade. Fill them slowly and constantly check the bead. It may take a few times to get them to hook right. We mounted a 2.125 on a 100mm wheel by using a ratchet strap around the diameter to force the air to the bead before the tires radius. Then let the strap out slowly. Once the bead is set and you have nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back