Fat Fix (COLOR CHANGE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fat Fix (Got Paint) (riding video)(photos)

Since you have time, what is your process for polishing wheels? I took a set of similar surface rims and wet sanded them and after a while still getting that dull grey not going away, I just quit.

Geez, I don't go online 1 night and your already finished! :shock: :lol:

Major improvement! 8)

The fork makes it! 8) Mind making me one for a 26"? :mrgreen:

bfelt said:
Did you know that choppersusa carries the wide BB's and axles for fat tire bikes? I have purchased several from them.
I checked there first , but they said out of stock. I think they are for occ choppers and a little wider than
the beast. Mine are 114mm wide and the ones they sell are 120mm, when they have them.
yoothgeye said:
Since you have time, what is your process for polishing wheels? I took a set of similar surface rims and wet sanded them and after a while still getting that dull grey not going away, I just quit.
Yeah I tried oven cleaner and it would take off the silver quick, but wouldn't touch that white
stuff. I finally got aircraft stripper an it took the white stuff off in 20 minutes. Its messy and will
burn you, but really AIrcraft Stripper , is all that works.I tried another stripper and it just sat there.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Geez, I don't go online 1 night and your already finished! :shock: :lol:

Major improvement! 8)

The fork makes it! 8) Mind making me one for a 26"? :mrgreen:
Thanks I appreciate it. I did a how to . Its not that hard. I made them in a day so its not that time consuming.

Uncle Stretch said:
All the real fat bikes are a neutral color , so I decided to use one too. Kinda miss my red though. :cry:
I hear ya. Mine will be hemi orange, which i think is nearly the color you first showed on the forks.

Mine should have been something with Pazzaz , but I decided on simple. I do so many
red...orange and black ,that I had to step out of my paint zone and try something new.
My last scratch build with the aqua was a change for me.

Bought a set of Suntour 175mm cranks off of CL for $25. I ordered a chainring for them
on Amazon. It will be here in a month or so. Anyway I took the original chainring and used a
cuttoff wheel to cut off what I needed and drilled it to fit the new crank. Was lucky the beast
chainring was five bars like the cranks I bought. The cranks polished up nice and they work good.
DSCF0001_zps51b24e8c.jpg

DSCF0002_zps252887e1.jpg

heya uncle stretch
that crankset is sweet
what brand s it? i need a set like that for my rally cruiser build
he bikes looking fantastic it's become one of my top 3 favs
the color works i really like it it goes good with the polished parts gves it a good solid look
keep up the good work it looks fantastic
Sean

Thanks Sean. They are called Suntour. They probably came off of a mountain bike.
They do polish up good and add a little sparkle to your build. They have the offset
that you need on a Beast.
DSCF0002_zps33d7c294.jpg

Awesome work and a much improved result over the original Walgoose beast frame!

They are certainly interesting and look like a lot of fun (and a pretty good bargain), but that frame is short and the wheels are too close together. I think it was probably designed for youth size riders. The fact that many of the guys here on RRB that bought them have installed tall layback seatposts to open up the cockpit tells me it's not comfortable out of the box for adults.

Thanks Old Skool, I'm not sure what market they were trying to target. They are kinda scrunchy
out of the box and most people think the geometry is off. For $200 for the wheel set alone is a
bargain. If you bought two 100mm rims and then some big tires , you would have used up $200.
Thats without spokes , hubs and stuff. They are cool because they look so crazy. I had 8 people
stop me just buying one and rolling it out to my truck. For me it was a cheap canvas,to build one
the way I wanted. These are kinda like a big ol fat woman...you either like them or think they are ugly. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Thanks Old Skool, I'm not sure what market they were trying to target. They are kinda scrunchy
out of the box and most people think the geometry is off. For $200 for the wheel set alone is a
bargain. If you bought two 100mm rims and then some big tires , you would have used up $200.
Thats without spokes , hubs and stuff. They are cool because they look so crazy. I had 8 people
stop me just buying one and rolling it out to my truck. For me it was a cheap canvas,to build one
the way I wanted. These are kinda like a big ol fat woman...you either like them or think they are ugly. :lol:
Or you do like I am doing, give it a face lift and make it into another bike.

aka: A cross between a Schwinn StingRay & a Schwinn Pixie, calling it a MegaPixieRay. :mrgreen:

The other colour was nice... but this colour is even better 8) Definately makes it a stand out :shock:

Man, I wish these Beast bikes were available here in New Zealand... cheaply :roll:

Schwinnray that is funny. Its not that flashy , but better.

Dracothered I doubt that I will do a theme build. Would be fun ,but not really my style.
I try a little wild sometimes, but I'm pretty subdued on my builds. This is about the wildest
I have gone with the custom springer. Not my norm.

Did find a nirve seat that I hate that had all chrome springs and rails under it.
They swapped perfect to my seat. It added a little more.
DSCF0001_zpsef4b1a9f.jpg

My neighbors already look at me funny. A large tired bike with orange paint and
a rebel flag on it might take them over the edge. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chrome and silver look good with orange. i like that new seat.

we went to the art car parade yesterday for the first time. your bike would have been an awesome addition to the whole scene.

Latest posts

Back