Fat Fink II - Bye Bye Fatty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
The Easter Bunny brought me a big green egg today!

WP_001452.jpg

My Walmart Mongoose Beast arrived. I went and picked it up from WM and had to ride home with the windows down after the tire rubber fumes gave me a headache in my car. It was packed very well and didn't have any scratches.

Even if you have seen fat bikes before, you can't help but laugh when you open the box. This thing is absurd!!!

WP_001453.jpg

WP_001454.jpg

I just couldn't resist proping my king queen chopper seat on there for reference. If the frame didn't have such a short wheel base it could work. Maybe I'll have to build a Fat Flexy and extend the drops with a rear suspension. I guess I could ride it from the queen seat?

WP_001455.jpg

Re: Fat Fink - Walgoose Beast Fat Bike

kingfish254 said:
The Easter ***** brought me a big green egg today!

Wow!!!! I didn't realize that it had gone so far that the Easter Hare was a bad word!!! :shock: :shock:

I put my SunTour XC pedals on along with my Rat Fink bars, seat, and grips.

WP_001456.jpg

WP_001458.jpg

WP_001461.jpg

WP_001464.jpg

Couldn't wait to go for a ride.

WP_001459.jpg

WP_001465.jpg

WP_001466.jpg

WP_001468.jpg

This is gonna be fun to ride next St. Patrick's Day
WP_001467.jpg

First ride impression.
- This is a super short frame (wheelbase wise that is). I think a laidback post or nanner seat is in order here, especially if I keep the Electra Fink cruiser bars. I'll probably also put a stem with a longer throw on it.
- The gearing is way high. I will definitely go with a smaller chainring. It's fine once your going, but a bit sluggish off the line.
- Comfort -I really like the comfort of the Fink cruiser seat on it. The bars work well too for a good upright cruiser riding position. The only problem is the shortness of the top tube. The big bars are a bit too close to me. I found myself riding with my hands way in front of the grips.
- Coaster brake works fine.
- Fairly maneuverable once you are rolling. It would be even moreso if my bars were so big.
- Fun Factor - OH YEAH!!!! This is why I bought the bike and it delivers! You can't help but smile and the reaction that people have is about the same as when I ride Fugsley. This is going to be a cool bike to cruise on.

Problem - Not sure what it is yet, but while I was riding, it almost felt like one of the cranks was loose just a bit. I checked it and they are tight. When I am stationary, I can't find anything that has improper moverment in the cranks, BB axle, rear wheel cog, rear axle, front axle, pedals. Nothing feels wrong. But when I was riding it, it just wasn't quite right. Guess I'll break down the BB and check out the bearings. I'll also check the rear wheel axle and cog.

MO FATTA MO BETTA

Re: Fat Fink - Walgoose Beast Fat Bike MO FATTA MO BETTA

Pulled the BB and it was bone dry! Not even a hint of any grease.

Re: Fat Fink - No BB Grease and Cross threaded bearing cup!

:x The left BB bearing cup was also cross threaded.
Rat Fink is out of commision already!
Now I have to go through the hoops with Walmart to see if I can get a replacement (IN OUT OF STOCK GREEN)!!! :x

Yeah, I would guess they would have to be 4" tubes from what I saw before I returned my bike.

What did the person at the service desk at Walmart say about that bike? :shock:

They have to be thinking...what the heck is this thing? :lol:

She was hoping I wasn't returning it because she would have to take it to the back. I had already broken it back down and out it in the box. But she could see the big ole tires.

carrotsnax said:
Bummer to hear about your issues. It looks like a smooth, fun ride. Best of luck in dealing with Walmart.

Returning the bike to customer service was a breeze. Eventually I will just order another online. Right now, I am going to hold off because I will need the shop space for my super secret RRBBO8 build in 30 days.

I tried to get the broken bike, but they have already shipped it back.
But now that they are available again, I went ahead and ordered another Green one.
Fat Fink II is alive!

I think the width of the BB is a problem, when the components are of this "quality". I packed the crank bearings and adjusted it, and after 3 miles it needs tightened already. Maybe it'll settle down once it's broken in. At least the bearings are in a retainer. Front wheel bearings aren't.

Fat Fink II is on the way from San Pablo, CA. Expected delivery April 11th.

Wow...that's interesting.

I order one from Texas and it ships from Illinois.

You order one from Georgia and it comes from California.

:? :? :?

Latest posts

Back