Fat Cruiser & poor timing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timing of this contest & challenge is not ideal. I have, essentially, just completed the massacre on my fat tire critter. I am still working on the optimal gearing scenario, though. So, technically, it ain' finished, yet. I didn't keep a photo journal during the process, so I can't even meet the metamorphosis component, either.
Oh well, I will let the rest of you blokes duke it out.
Stay busy & stay well!
Fat Cruiser 1.jpg

I'm finding that 45t front crank ring, to the 36t middle ring, doesn't give me the (ideally) easy pedaling, with much less than the 34t rear, climbing sprocket. Got a 36t front crankwheel arriving soon, so we shall see if that makes a significant difference in the gearing & pedaling effort. I found the alignment issues with the front-to-middle crank rings was pretty crucial, also. A lot of chain-slap & slippage, without that chain idler gizmo. BTW, it measures 88", end-to-end, & 58#. She ain' no ballerina.....

Yep..we've held the Build Off every Summer from May-August for over 14 years now.

We'll catch ya on the next go around. :)

I am late to the party. This was my first awakening. I knew about the build contests, but not tracking the time period.
Thanks, and I will pay more attention, in the future!

I wonder if you might be able to omit the center crankset altogether and just use the 36 up front. Would the derailler have enough spring?

Mighty long chain involved with that option. I have a KMX recumbent tadpole with, essentially, two "regular-length" chains hooked together, & it has quite an engineered chain management system. It has a conventional rear derailleur, so the tension is not a factor, anyway.
I designed this fat tire critter to not disturb the existing gearing & geometry, & just extend the frame, so I have my feet extended forward. That's why there are 2 bottom brackets. And, it was kinda unconventional, which also appealed to my eccentricities. Actually, I probably should have the chain idler between the bottom brackets spring-loaded, also.

Wildcat, you were right about omitting the central crank. The gears work just fine, now. The front crankwheel is a 40t, connected to the 7-ring freewheel, with the 34t "granny". No chain supports or idler wheels appear necessary. Seems to ride comfortably, albeit rather heavy @ 58#.
I will shoot a photo & post it, later.

The Critter works, & pedals, much better with only 1 chain. Ain' no hillclimber, though! Even with 42t in the front, & 34t in the rear. Only 140mm crank arms, to provide ground clearance.
one chain 1.jpg

Attachments

• one chain 2.jpg
    one chain 2.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 90
  • one chain 3.jpg
    one chain 3.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 86
  • one chain 4.jpg
    one chain 4.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 89
It's looking good! I might steal your license plate fender idea for my next bike. I've got ten plates from different states.

Thanks! You are most welcome to the use of the license plates scenario. When I asked my spouse if this was a legal repurposing issue, she replied, "If not, y'all will be makin' 'em!"

Latest posts

Back