Fat cruiser build with Car tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this build last winter with the wheels and finally came upon a suitable frame its a huffy monteray. the wheels and tires are skinny old vw wheels from my porsche 914 and used the old tires from my brothers beetle build. Theyre kinds dry rotted so probrobly not safe on the road anyway. I cut the centers out and laced them up with spokes from a 20" and extended hubs. I tried to seal the spokes with no luck and ended up puting tubes in that i forgot i even had. so i plan on using a single front sprocket and derailer in the back with a disk brake. Going for a 50s style i might make some fenders and probrobly use a similar turqoise color on it . Its been completely free build. On the disk brake sprocket i had to make it removable to get the spokes in so i cut up and old single speed sprocket and hub and welded it all together.

MO FATTA
MO BETTA

thanks I knew i forgot to mention something. Im going to extend the crank tube and for the crank I think im going to make it bolt together in the center with an access hole underneeth. I could just extend a 3 piece crank but i dont think I have any laying around and this will work just as good. shouldnt be too difficult at all. Also i might do something intresting with the fork but i havnt planned that out just yet.

thanks I knew i forgot to mention something. Im going to extend the crank tube and for the crank I think im going to make it bolt together in the center with an access hole underneeth. I could just extend a 3 piece crank but i dont think I have any laying around and this will work just as good. shouldnt be too difficult at all. Also i might do something intresting with the fork but i havnt planned that out just yet.
Looking forward to seeing it!

Luke.

Thanks guys its going great. I got the front brace done and the kick stand mount. They are stainless bars so I can shine them up nicely. I sanded a bunch of the lettering off the tires. just to clean them up some. I need to decide on a seat . Iv got a plan for the fenders. Also got the brake caliper mount figured out. it'll snuggle nicely between the bars in back for a clean install.

65241_515342351843862_473442591_n-300x300.jpg

How the heck did you drill out those wheels at the right location so that you could put in spokes? I would think you need to get the holes drilled in the exact location to work. Right? What trick did you use? Or is it EZ?

How the heck did you drill out those wheels at the right location so that you could put in spokes? I would think you need to get the holes drilled in the exact location to work. Right? What trick did you use? Or is it EZ?
It was pretty easy. the spokes are adjustable you know so they dont have to be exact. I just took the 20" wheel that was assembled that I got the spoke from and layed it over the new rim. Then marked the spots where the spokes go just by eye looking down on it. the diameter of the new wheel was less than the old one but the hub is wider so it kinda evend out and i didnt have to rethread them or anything. They were still a little long if i threaded them in the hub as the old one was so I chose different holes in the hub so that the spokes ended up the right length . It was easy to true it up since the wheel is solid and not all wiggly like a skinny bicycle wheel.
Today I got the rear fender built it looks really good. I took an old bent up bike fender and cut it down the center and widend it with sheetmetal. was much easier than trying to form a curve from a flat sheet with just a hammer and itll need hardly any filler. Next ill work on the mounts and the front fender then make the crank.

Latest posts

Back