Fast, strong but not so beefy

Aug 13, 2013
Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After little modifications I got 105mm pedal to ground clearance (172.5mm crank arm), 57mm trail and 719mm top tube length. Wasn't sure if that's not a bit too much so I did a comparison with electra cruiser tall frame (advertised for people over 6' tall). Here's the result.

Electra tall frame dimensions:
Top Tube --------- 73.9 cm - 29.1 in
Seat Tube -------- 46.7 cm - 18.4 in
Stand Over Height 81.5 cm - 32.1 in
Wheel Base ------ 123.6 cm - 48.7 in

Looks like my frame is just fine for tall guys. Worth noting, Electra has 26x2.125 wheels, my frame is on 27.5x2.8. Red lines represent Electra dimensions.

vs electra tall.PNG

Last edited:

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After little modifications I got 105mm pedal to ground clearance (172.5mm crank arm), 57mm trail and 719mm top tube length. Wasn't sure if that's not a bit too much so I did a comparison with electra cruiser tall frame (advertised for people over 6' tall). Here's the result.

Electra tall frame dimensions:
Top Tube --------- 73.9 cm - 29.1 in
Seat Tube -------- 46.7 cm - 18.4 in
Stand Over Height 81.5 cm - 32.1 in
Wheel Base ------ 123.6 cm - 48.7 in

Looks like my frame is just fine for tall guys. Worth noting, Electra has 26x2.125 wheels, my frame is on 27.5x2.8. Red lines represent Electra dimensions.

View attachment 120887
It is a nice geometry, but the way you make it it is more sporty then Electra. The cranks are closer to the rear wheel and the head tube angle is more aggressive. It is becoming more of a sport bike then a cruiser this way.
In my experience so far 60' angle works best for the head tube, this is the way it was made on Dyno cruisers, and until now it handles best, especially with some offset added to the fork. Having your bottom bracket closer to the front wheel also makes bike handling cooler and more comfy, while the only real disadvantage of it is that it would be harder to stand up on the pedals.

Reactions: konradmk
Aug 13, 2013
Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a nice geometry, but the way you make it it is more sporty then Electra. The cranks are closer to the rear wheel and the head tube angle is more aggressive. It is becoming more of a sport bike then a cruiser this way.
In my experience so far 60' angle works best for the head tube, this is the way it was made on Dyno cruisers, and until now it handles best, especially with some offset added to the fork. Having your bottom bracket closer to the front wheel also makes bike handling cooler and more comfy, while the only real disadvantage of it is that it would be harder to stand up on the pedals.
You got that all right! I’m trying to build something between a lazy cruiser and a fast, aggressive bike. Head tube angle was calculated for the wheel and fork offset to make an optimal trail/caster which here is in the exact middle of the range for most bikes. The seat tube is 70 degrees, more than on a MTB but less than on a cruiser. Of course this is subject to change, I think I may consider moving the BB just a bit to the front. I still want to be able to stand on pedals when needed.

Reactions: Starnger
Aug 13, 2013
Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The design is changing every day a bit and since I’m a noob and lack practical experience I’ve asked a professional frame builder from Poland to take a shot and add some “magic”. Then we’ll sit together, recalculate dimensions, implement final corrections and he’s going to weld it all together. I can’t wait to see the final result.

Aug 13, 2013
Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after some time of riding an urban and cross bicycle. I’ve decided to redesign the frame, my thoughts went from fat bike to an urban/gravel bike. So we got now standard rims and tires 700x45C. If the frame is made of aluminum it can be a quite fast commuter. Shimano 170mm cranks, Alfine 8 and derailleur (tensioner). Let me know if you would ride something like that.
53C26AEC-5335-42EF-B534-369FE056846D.png

Aug 13, 2013
Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt I would ride it. Looks like a weapon! As long as you stay on smoothish trails, should be cool. Wouldn't want to try a stair set, or even a curb drop, that "chin" on the downtube doesn't look like it'd clear much in the way of obstacles.
True. It’s all for the looks really.