fantom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what currently in the stand.

fantom.jpg

It's the old tired Schwinn getting a new lease on life. I've found that if your patient long enough, and network with other fellow collectors, you can find parts at a reasonable cost sometimes. Looks kinda ratty now. The S-2's were pretty crusty, but they are fully servicable and will work great until some better ones come along. Thanks!!!

Here is a bike that got me started back on the old tired Schwinn. A 1950's (I guess?), D frame picked up at a yard sale for $25, that someone had spent the premium on paint sometime in the past.

bigD.jpg

It even had the fake twin knurling on the rims. I could'nt pass it up then! It had new looking never ridden tires, and a NOS looking Messinger saddle and a whole bunch of additional stuff. I understood from the seller, that the previous owner had passed back in the late 90's, and this was his pride and joy. If that was the case, Thank you, for doing a great looking bike. Thanks!!!

Finally got the fork put together and found a front brake that will work. Also got the front fender mounted.

fantonfender.jpg

The fenders are original Schwinn NOS with a little rust on them but will look fine with the rest of the bike. Thanks!!!

Good stuff! :D I like the baby blue Schwinn and the phantom is going to look sweet...

A little more progress. According to the posted charts, it is a 1953 production.

fantombars.jpg

Found another winged chainguard that was in slightly worst shape than the blue one, but it will work fine. Got the Bendix multispeed and the F brake hooked up. She's about ready for a ride. Still need a few more pieces. Thanks!!!

Wow, it's looking great! Are you planning to find the headlight, an original crashrail saddle, and the carrier? Can't wait to see it done!

Here is inspiraration laying about. A Phantom and a fantom with the Blue SS. These are what's getting me off the couch lately.

currentfantom.jpg

Don't know where it's all going, but having fun all the way. Thanks!!!

The next one on the stand. This one may turn into more of a long term project than originally anticipated? I'll have a better understanding after Trex.

dseries.jpg

The good, the bad, the ugly. Thanks!!!

man these are so cool. what a collection youve got there! i just got a full tanked hornet today and im plannin on doing a phantom style overhaul on it. do you know where i can get a fender light like the phantoms and aerocycles? thanks

Heres my sons college ride back in for a tune up.

timss1.jpg

He's absconded with the Blue SS to use at school. That was perfectly OK by me. At least it will be a low maintainence ride for him. The Bendix Multispeed works great on this application. The rear hub needed a repack and I'm sending a small air compressor with him so he can keep the 27" tires aired up. Thanks!!!

I believe in saving the Morrows.

standmorrow.jpg

Here is what I use for a truing stand. It works for me.

Here is my stand thingy.

bikestand1.jpg

bikestand2.jpg

I've used this stand since the early 1970's. It used to have a sticker on it that said ANJ Cycle Products. I'm thinking it originally was sold to us from Louisville Cycle Co. It has held a bunch of bikes and taken a lot of abuse over the years.

blued5.jpg

More progress on the Blue D. I'm going to ride it in a couple of local Christmas parades this year. I'm short gearing it and making it easier to pedal. Around here, the day they have the Christmas parade is usually the coldest, wettest day of the year. We'll see! Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back