BO15 Emsbroek & Poesse Ratracer (pg6 ride video!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After following the Ratrodbikes build offs for some time now, and "by coincidence" re-assembling a frame I have laying around, I decided to start participating in this years build off.

I built a bike with this frame before, but never used it that much because of a broken bottom bracket bearing.

First I wanted to restore this frame and bike to its original state. Parts are relatively hard to find and harder to get the parts correct to date. So I am not going assemble the bike to its original state, which would probably look like this:
clghgp1.jpg

We call this a "Grandpabicycle" or "Opafiets".

These old bikes (not the new ones) are near indestructable!
A lot of these bikes go to the scrapyard after parts are rusted and difficult to remove.

Allright lets introduce the frame:
Its an EMPO steel lugged frame. Back from the days when the Dutch made and built their own bicycles. I believe this frame is from the late 70's. A small history lesson about the company in this thread soon!

Z6yhKo0.jpg

JY060BL.jpg

dJSsCXN.jpg

The red badge says (litoral translation) "Empofied rustfree paintwork".

NyQ0bK9.jpg

B50o8Es.jpg

KV1KbqM.jpg

3PlOEoX.jpg

The headbadges translation from top to bottom:
Old word for: Bicycle factory
EMPO VORDEN
(vorden is a place where the factory is placed)
Legally deposited
Dutch. make
Made in Holland.

qTpnLJe.jpg

I really love the natural patina on this frame and fork.

What am I going to do with this?

I hope to build a Pathracer like bike. Inspiration comes from:

fIOnkO0.jpg

V4Ts72B.jpg

Some parts I have laying around which I could use:

VqwVhOr.jpg

VAJUPuR.jpg

BMX steel stem.

D6yx9zN.jpg

Efqcfoq.jpg

I cut the tube from a big old 50's lawnmower. It happens to be 22mm! So this could be my handlebar.

EeelwHI.jpg

ZxPaafE.jpg

Union crankarms and sprocket. Also a very old bicycle brand.

I still have to fix this crankarm. It has been bent some time ago:
wIynYb9.jpg

iqipVuy.jpg

Old leather and steel saddle.

Overal goal:
I want to use as much old parts as possible. Also the screws from another period, no allen screws or torx. And I am going to search for some old EMPO parts.

I hope you enjoy this build!

Last edited:
Very cool frame and history! Dig the parts pick too, especially the handle bars!
Welcome to the build off, and...
RaT oN~!

You all are probably wondering where that :bandit: topic title and bicycle build name comes from:

For the ones interested: I did a little history research:

EMPO stands for: Emsbroek & Poesse, which are Dutch last names.

This is from a factory in Vorden where they built bicycles, mopeds, lighting, motorbikes and more.

Vorden is quite close to my home: About 2 hours of cycling, so when this build is done, I am going to cycle this beast to the original factory :rockout:

History:

EMPO was founded in 1913 and was bankrupt in 1979. After this, the name continued and is used by other bicycle brands and companies. They kept the name because of the high quality builds they were known for.
transportfiets_130.jpg

The factory in Vorden.

7q6WkkU.jpg

The sign says:
"This brand on your bicycle and its alright!"

1gQMMHc.jpg

This sign says:
EMPO light gives a huge amount of light!

That last one was quite difficult to translate, because it says literally: EMPO light gives giant light :crazy:

A little update (this evening already),

Just got my lamp that I found on some website (probably comparable with craigslist)!
This guy in Amsterdam did not want much for the old carbide lamps. One of them even has the original glass in great condition :crazy2:

I am so happy! Because it is from the same company, but older: Somewhere between 1900 and 1925.

Pictures:
GBCfntY.jpg

rY1KDJw.jpg

x2Po20G.jpg

dPPS5Z5.jpg

Sc1gVHj.jpg

Time for a update!

Wheels and tires are here! 28 x 1 1/2 inch.
I found some "old style", "new old stock" wheels:
Van Schothorst stainless steel rims. Also near indestructable. This Dutch/French company started in 1923, also known now as: Rigida.

Front hub: Union, very thin and oldschool.
Rear hub: Shimano CB-E110 (modern coaster brake hub). This hub has many parts available! Quite reliable if serviced and cleaned well.

Pictures:

8v3mjiC.jpg

Remember that BMX stem? I painted it black, oiled and damaged it. I removed the allen screws and used other screws for the oldschool looks. I'll leave it for now.

Hi5ehZ4.jpg

Mounted.

13JU017.jpg

Frame mockup!

RwqD4Dt.jpg

Seatpost clamp: Removed the allen screw and used a hex bolt with wingnut (is wingnut the right word for it? :crazy2: )

EJIABmx.jpg

Thin Union steel front hub!

LuL8jla.jpg

Shimano CB-E110 rear hub.

bwmRdmg.jpg

2j6GDkS.jpg

dVMeS8y.jpg

Awesome rims!

fv3gqKk.jpg

Note: This picture is not taken at Christmas! :39: When a nice package comes in, I will wear my Christmas socks :crazy:

WcIZLLu.jpg

No reflection creme tires, love it!

Tomorrow I am going to fit the old lamp. So hopefully more updates soon!

Thanks for watching! :inlove:

Last edited:
Welcome to the Build Off madness. It's always great to see our brothers from across the pond join in!!! I love the details on that frame and that chainring is awesome! Nice selection of parts. Thanks for the history too. HAVE FUN!!!

Welcome to the Build Off madness. It's always great to see our brothers from across the pond join in!!! I love the details on that frame and that chainring is awesome! Nice selection of parts. Thanks for the history too. HAVE FUN!!!
Thank you sir :cool:

Like the sound of this Bart , and from a country all cyclists need to visit to see how it's done right . I love it there, and need to go back and visit soon.

Oh man, those textured rims, I loved the set I had. Your lamp advertisement reminds me of something...
Your Empo ad
1gQMMHc.jpg

Poster in my living room
51OCdBi2FaL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Welcome to the best custom vintage rat rod bike site on the internet!
Cool parts pile and frame. Those tires are sweet, and nice RaT-ina job on the stem. I had a pair of Rigida hoops on an old road bike in the '70s. Strong as anything and great look too.
RaT oN~!

Thank you Mr Unhinged! The Netherlands does have a lot of nice bicycle road and paths! Nice singletracks for Klunking or mountainbiking.
It is a shame allmost all bicycles come from China these days. And more than 50% of people ride electric bikes these days... (in some cases I can imagine this choice). But for the rest it is still a cycling country :thumbsup:

Awesome poster MattiThundrrr! Where did you find/get it?

Thanks OddJob, I really dig this site with all the clean projects, quircks, nice people and rat bikes :cool:

Little update:

Cleaned the carbide lamp a bit (I will keep the rat looks) and mounted it. It fits the 22.2mm BMX stem!
Used crosshead screws, hex bolts and nuts.
ETrXXVS.jpg

PWJig56.jpg

I found some wooden handles on the internet and ordered them! They are made of mahogany wood :inlove:
They look pretty clean, and I find it hard to damage (rat) them at this point.... maybe I should ride a lot after wrenching and greasing, so they get dirty/ratty :bandit:
VKBcWFm.jpg

Below a picture of the original shimano coasterbrake reaction-arm. To keep your hub from spinning in the bikes frame when braking/backpedalling. I have a weak spot for coasterbrake hubs and love the sight of old reaction arms. So I think I am going to fabricate/file a new arm. I could create a 3D model and laser a piece or steel, but they did not have these machines back in the day, so a file it is! That doesn't put me in class 2 right? ;)
I94WK6l.jpg

pQLcykz.jpg

Picture above: A drawing of the original arm, so I can find a piece of steel for the new arm.

Wow those handlebar grips are something I've been looking for for years!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Wow those handlebar grips are something I've been looking for for years!!

Hint: These shops are found in europe. I have good experiences with them so far :thumbsup:
https://classic-cycle.com/ (They are located in Germany, here I got my wooden grips).
https://bikestoremember.nl/ (Antique/classic bike shop).
http://www.timmermansfietsen.nl/nl (Dutch high quality bike builder for inspiration), sometimes he uses parts that I try to find afterwards.

I hope this is allowed, or else I can send you a private message :cool:

Hint: These shops are found in europe. I have good experiences with them so far [emoji106]
https://classic-cycle.com/ (They are located in Germany, here I got my wooden grips).
https://bikestoremember.nl/ (Antique/classic bike shop).
http://www.timmermansfietsen.nl/nl (Dutch high quality bike builder for inspiration), sometimes he uses parts that I try to find afterwards.

I hope this is allowed, or else I can send you a private message :cool:
Thanks! And they even have 3 types of wood.

Been rocking portland cork chops because those are the closest I can find to what you found!

Awesome poster MattiThundrrr! Where did you find/get it?
Bart, I am a wise man. I allow my wife to make all design decisions regarding the house. And garden. And shopping decisions. She knows that my family is from the Netherlands, so I assume that is why she picked it. We've had it for fifteen years now, she's designed a couple of rooms around it.

Latest posts

Back