BO15 Emsbroek & Poesse Ratracer (pg6 ride video!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bart, I am a wise man. I allow my wife to make all design decisions regarding the house. And garden. And shopping decisions. She knows that my family is from the Netherlands, so I assume that is why she picked it. We've had it for fifteen years now, she's designed a couple of rooms around it.
Thats pretty awesome! And wise indeed ;) If you are ever in the Netherlands someday I can recommend some awesome antique shops near here. And bicycle shops ofcourse :rockout:

Welkom bij RatRodFiets bow-uit :D

Nice starting point!
I did not qite get the reason you want to fabricate a new coaster arm, but surely it is going to be fun!
Wel, the old Shimano does its job perfect, but it looks a bit simple. I have a thing for functional mechanical stuff that you can not always see.
The old antique coaster and drum brake hubs have beautiful coaster arms, and it is one of the details from which you can see it is a modern shimano hub ;)

And I appreciate the translation, pretty wel done :rockout: We would probably say:
"Welkom bij de RatRodFiets Bouw wedstijd".

Witamy W RatRodRower Konkurs Budowlany, I hope I translated that in a good way :crazy:

Another update, because I can't wait when parts are lying everywhere waiting for a rat!

First the complete bike, a mockup with the grips, saddle, carbide lamp, wheels and tires:
I am very excited about the stance and looks!

qgfOe2w.jpg

jpFnLb2.jpg

UWfPZJJ.jpg

KdS2hdu.jpg

Progress with the coaster arm: I like a arm which has a swoop of sorts. I had a steel beam (S355 steel) lying around which would do the trick. It is a little thicker than the original arm.
aYFuzup.jpg

I am also going to have some fun with these old letters (letter punches?):
hY09X8E.jpg

And I have a dilemma with the saddle: After mounting the grips and the mockup of the bike I am doubting the old one. Because I have a old "Brooks" saddle which fits the colour of the grips a bit better. But this "Brooks" saddle does not have these beautiful springs..... What do you guys think? Currently I am liking the old springed saddle by design a bit more.
tvwYzpm.jpg

vqtQR4s.jpg

41WQUPk.jpg

Hmm :39: Maybe a little frame saddle in a lighter colour would be a nice idea...

Thank you for watching!

Last edited:
Little update:

When I look at pictures of very old bicycles, sometimes I notice those big butterfly/wing nuts made of cast aluminum. Like some sort of ancient form of "quick release" you see on many mountainbikes and race bikes today.
I searched for these old nuts and found some, but they are expensive and very likely to feature the wrong thread. So I decided to look for a modern version with metric "M10x1" thread which is used for the Shimano axle.
I found some relatively large M8 nuts from "John Deere" and decided to order these and give the john some new thread teeth after drilling these out by hand: (I felt like a dentist :p )
lPCauJv.jpg

gAX8pLE.jpg

NEswmBy.jpg

Not as big as I hoped, but still pretty cool! I kept the original nut on there aswel for strenght reasons :emo:

The coasterbrake reaction arm is almost finished! Just needs a little rust for the looks :crazy: so I left it outside for now.
I cut a piece of steel from a beam: the overal shape with an angle grinder. I drilled the center hole for the splines and started filing after this. It took me about 3 hours to finish the shape! I hope you like it!
STWPuwm.jpg

ljzH8RW.jpg

hD1U8Pa.jpg

mTeeM4J.jpg

SOYeuNm.jpg

nE1TvyA.jpg

Uui9GLJ.jpg

b7E09n9.jpg

FqYq6w1.jpg

What do you think? I will update this thread when mounted on the bicycle. Soon I hope!
Next step: Mount the arm, fabricate better seals for the shimano hub and mount the bottom bracket bearings!

Thank you for the nice comments!

Last edited:
MattiThundrrr, thank you!
When seeing those pictures... and mine again... I am doubting the John Deere nuts (Deer nuts :rofl: ) again.
Maybe I should fabricate some.
There should be an antique bike parts event this year, but it got cancelled because of the virus... so fabrication and searching for second hand parts could be an option :39:

Thanks guys I appreciate your appreciation! Wel the build must go on til September, so fabricating parts like the good ol' days is something I love to do.

Yesterday evening, I finished the mockup of the rear wheel assemby: only needs a chain and a quick check.

The hub is finished now: The coaster arm rusty :crazy: and mounted, and I tried something with the sealing; I worked and cycled with this type of hub before: last year about 12000 miles/19000 kilometers, and learned that they are very good, but the silly dustcaps let some dirt through from time to time. What I did is a inner tire, cut a piece of it and put it around the dustcaps. I hope this wil seal the hub much better!
After this I spay painted + installed a rear sprocket with 18 teeth. The front will have 46. My commuter had a 48-18 size chainring.

Pictures, before and after:
8MZnfPz.jpg

pZcHpMO.jpg

fGy6hlM.jpg

kuiMeao.jpg

You can see the inner tube seal!

And there is another thing: on the last picture you can see a bronze bush and clip. Does anyone knows where it is for?

Last edited:
I think they are for a rear wheel stand to be mounted and to rotate freely. I have one that is axle mounted but perhaps there are frame mounted as well? Mine (a stand/rack combo) was on a dutch bike that had similar bolt on seat stays too.
I like these chain tensioners, the springs are a great touch.

Thank you and thats a pretty good guess toro1978! But it is for:

2J9VgTj.jpg

My single wheel trailer! I built this in 2018.

I commented in "MrUnhinged" his now class 2 project, something about a "NSU" quickly moped fender I still have and never got rid off:
LbMQ2I2.jpg

If I use this trailer and modify it, can it still be used to compete with my Pathracer in the class 1 build off? Just wondering, no problem if it is not okay :thumbsup:

Because with that fender, this is how the trailer looks:
Fcmtbck.jpg

*insert heavy metal :rockout:*

What do you guys think?

Btw: another picture with the coaster arm in place:
LBWdeq7.jpg

Under the bracket that connects the coaster arm with the frame, originally sits a patch of rubber, now I used a piece of WW2 cloth from a broken canteen bottle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back