Elgin ID again...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a Mens Elgin with a straight downtube. It is clearly a Murray, built for Sears. Can one of you experts confirm my fear that it is a 41? I was under the impression that the straight seat tube went away in 1940.

Here is what my bottom bracket reads:MOS 1 0396
Elgin_before.jpg

Thanks in advance for your knowledge :)

Kris

Last edited:
I sent you an email with a pic.

To answer your question; the serial number is MOS 1 0396. I am under the impression that the number immediately following the manufacturer ("1") is the year. Am I wrong?

Scott,
Also, can you tell me what the forks are off of? They dont look correct to Elgin. (In the pic they are backwards)
Thanks,
Kris

MOS serial number is a Murray number. thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?7014-Murray-serial-number-project

Elgin_before.jpg

Fork looks like a Westfield to me, but they could have been on Elgin bikes built by Westfield.
If it's a Musselman, post the date code?

You're forcing me to show my ignorance, publicly :)
(I dont understand.) If you're referring to the hubs being Musselman, they aren't. They aren't ND either. They are finned as normal on Elgin. I forget the name though...
Thanks for identifying the forks.
Kris

"Finned" or what was advertised as "Air-Cooled" hubs were made by Musselman. There should be a symbol and letter stamped into the hub shell on the brake arm side. This will tell the quarter and year of manufacture.

Scott,

There is a name on the hub then a "7" with a letter (A?). I am not at home and cannot remember exactly. The hub says something other than Musselman. The brake is blank/generic.
thanks for the help!
Kris

And you shall have them :)

I am beginning to think I may have a been a bit hasty in reading the serial number. Perhaps the code was MOS "7" 0396 rather than MOS 1 0396?

Latest posts

Back