ELGIN Decoluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so here's what really happened.:happy:

I picked up this '41 Elgin frame last winter from forum member Pookie42. I'm constantly looking for old girls frames to try my convertible tanks on and this one looked very promising!
View attachment 30595

Not long after I got the frame, I bought a '57 Schwinn Wasp and turned my attention to it instead of the Elgin because it was a complete bike. As the build off began to appear on the horizon I decided that I'd build the Elgin.

After researching all types of art deco references, I knew what I wanted and began gathering parts and making plans. I've had the Higgins skirt guards in my stash for years and never found a good fit for them. It didn't take more than holding one up to the frame to decide that this was it!

My plan from the beginning was to build a bike that could have been but never was. To achieve this I tried to make the parts naturally flow with each other and finished with paint that hopefully looks like old dull paint that has been compounded and waxed to look shiny again.

Like many other bikes here on RatRodBikes, there are parts from many different manufacturers and vintages and styles.

Many of the parts came from forum members including @Pookie42, @American Vintage Bicycle Supply, @The_Black_Monark, @Road Master, @Jarod24 and @KEMPRACING. Thank you!

The build thread is HERE for anyone who's interested.

The Cliff Notes are as follows:
1941 Elgin girls frame
TRM Convertible Tank
CWC Shockmaster fork
Prewar Elgin triple step wheels
Schwalbe Fat Frank 26x2.35 tires
1930s/40s era Torrington art deco handlebar stem
Huffy middle weight handlebar
Foxgrips reproduction Airflo grips
prewar Diamond skip tooth chain
prewar Lazy Heart chain ring
Persons majestic tear drop pedals
Monark deep fenders
Huffy fenderettes
J.C. Higgins Colorflow skirt guards
CWC Western Flyer/Hiawatha chain guard
Prewar long spring saddle (customized)
lucky seven seat post
Colorflow fender brace/custom drop stand
custom deco fender braces
LED headlights and tail lights

Detail Photos:

View attachment 30600
View attachment 30609

View attachment 30601 View attachment 30602 View attachment 30603 View attachment 30604 View attachment 30605 View attachment 30606 View attachment 30607 View attachment 30608
I noticed you had some deep fenders. I was thinking about getting some of those.

I just got to see these pics on a big screen instead of my phone. WOW WOW AND WOW. You have an amazing vision that became a reality with this bike. Truly a Ramond Lowry, if I spelled that right, design. It is straight from the period when cars, trains, household appliances and all modern conveinances were streamlined to appear rocket technology fast. My hat is off to you sir for sharing your creativity with us all. You have my vote along with everyone elses

OK, so here's what really happened.:happy:

I picked up this '41 Elgin frame last winter from forum member Pookie42. I'm constantly looking for old girls frames to try my convertible tanks on and this one looked very promising!
View attachment 30595

Not long after I got the frame, I bought a '57 Schwinn Wasp and turned my attention to it instead of the Elgin because it was a complete bike. As the build off began to appear on the horizon I decided that I'd build the Elgin.

After researching all types of art deco references, I knew what I wanted and began gathering parts and making plans. I've had the Higgins skirt guards in my stash for years and never found a good fit for them. It didn't take more than holding one up to the frame to decide that this was it!

My plan from the beginning was to build a bike that could have been but never was. To achieve this I tried to make the parts naturally flow with each other and finished with paint that hopefully looks like old dull paint that has been compounded and waxed to look shiny again.

Like many other bikes here on RatRodBikes, there are parts from many different manufacturers and vintages and styles.

Many of the parts came from forum members including @Pookie42, @American Vintage Bicycle Supply, @The_Black_Monark, @Road Master, @Jarod24 and @KEMPRACING. Thank you!

The build thread is HERE for anyone who's interested.

The Cliff Notes are as follows:
1941 Elgin girls frame
TRM Convertible Tank
CWC Shockmaster fork
Prewar Elgin triple step wheels
Schwalbe Fat Frank 26x2.35 tires
1930s/40s era Torrington art deco handlebar stem
Huffy middle weight handlebar
Foxgrips reproduction Airflo grips
prewar Diamond skip tooth chain
prewar Lazy Heart chain ring
Persons majestic tear drop pedals
Monark deep fenders
Huffy fenderettes
J.C. Higgins Colorflow skirt guards
CWC Western Flyer/Hiawatha chain guard
Prewar long spring saddle (customized)
lucky seven seat post
Colorflow fender brace/custom drop stand
custom deco fender braces
LED headlights and tail lights

Detail Photos:

View attachment 30600
View attachment 30609

View attachment 30601 View attachment 30602 View attachment 30603 View attachment 30604 View attachment 30605 View attachment 30606 View attachment 30607 View attachment 30608
Awesome! Love it[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

index.php
don't forget , the first pic is the chosen one ! , this one is the best imo
You created a masterpeice sir :41:

i vote for this bike :
index.php
:giggle:

I missed a whole episode of the Kung Fu marathon yesterday staring at the garage pic so had to wait 'til after work today to take this all in. We're all really lucky to have you to entertain us through this build off. Wonderful thread to check in on to see what you'd cooked up each time. + nobody does the clues and teasers quite like TRM.

I was expecting to be blown away by the completed bike but as with everything on this build it way exceeded that expectation. :41::41::41:

Great creative innovative build project. The presentation through out the build and the finished build thread story line kicks it up to another level. Well played, well done RM!!!

Every year you blow us away! You did not disappoint this year. I love the 'story' as much as the bike. Congrats on another beautiful build.

Latest posts

Back