Electrical Conduit for Frame building?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... I admit I am a newbe here to the forum and I dont want to russel any feathers but i was thinking of building my own frame. The thing is when I do a search for frame material I keep coming up with posts where people are using "Thin wall Electrical conduit" for there frames. I am no expert at frame building but I do alot of electrical work and I am concerned about the strength of thin wall and the welding penitration it is after all galvivized. So I guess my real question is , is there correct tubing to use to put these together? and/or what about using bike lugs for the connections.

There's a long running debate on this! Personally I don't think I'd use it for a structural part, but maybe for adding a second tube on a diamond frame or something. I know Uncle Stretch just uses sch. 40 black iron pipe for his bikes, makes for an awfully heavy bike though! And let's not forget wleding galvanized makes some toxic fumes. I know you can get the proper gauge steel from a steel supply place, but it's very expensive, and I believe it comes in 20 foot lengths! -Adam

Ya.. that sounds about right. Now with a little searching ,I am finding out about these frame lugs, that seems like the way to build- then someone could just braze the joints . The problem is I cant seem to find any. Can the average person get these?

WOW.. :shock: ..Well in the spirit of rat rodding I would have to say thats a no go way to $$$. But if some one would want to build a sweet looking frame and not wory about droping some $$ this is the way to go. Definetly some cool looking stuff there.

O'k., so I'll speak on this .....
Electrical conduit is fine to use as long as you use 1" or bigger for the main parts of the frame. I'm 300 pounds and have ridden several bikes that use the conduit with NO problems. I personally use the larger sizes just because I like the thicker tubes. Make sure you wire wheel or sand of the galvanize before welding and as on anything, make sure your welds are strong! Many have tried brazing conduit but I've never seen any of the frames hold up to a hard ride. Alot of the bikes over on FreakBike Nation are built this way.

CREW (Cold Rolled Electronically Welded) or HREW (Hot Rolled Electronically Welded) tubing is available at almost any metal supply co. As mentioned, it comes in 20' lengths, but most suppliers will give you 1 cut for free. That makes transport much easier.Its very affordable, comes in various wall thickness, and is nice and clean! One of our Phx. Phreaks has used this material to build 6-8 bikes so far w/no problems. Heck, the last one he built had 60" fork tubes made from this material.My 220 + chunky butt cruised it "Rock solidly". :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!

I used a piece of 3/4 emt on my RRBO5 bike took the galv off the easy way dip end of tube in muratic acid out side of course it strips it inside and out for no fumes welding

I understand what you are sayinh Slick Rick, thae Cold roll would be the way to go ,I am not sure about the hot roll would seen to be not round and smoth. But you are correct the length , I mean if one is to build a bike from scrach I would think 20' would be plenty. There is a shop up here that sell steel by the pound so 10" feet is no problem. the other side of the coin is, I have made ladders out of 1" Electrical counduit so I know the strength, its just ...I dont know about riding a bike at top speed with it. And before any one yells ...Yes i tig weld them

If you're hucking a mtb off drops that's one thing, in which case only the best tubing will do, but I doubt a properly welded conduit bike is going to self destruct cruising along the boardwalk. I think if you compare the strength of the often pencil sized rear seat/chainstays of some bikes, there has to be at least as much strength in a piece of 3/4"- 1" EMT. My latest build was done mostly (the 3/4" tubes) with conduit and pre-made conduit elbows partly as an experiment. Although I've only got about 5 hours dragging...er, riding so far, there have been no problems. Even the finest tubing will come apart at a crappy weld joint. These are bicycles, not motorcycles. :mrgreen:

ridablerear.jpg

I don't think anyone ever brazed as many choppers together from EMT as Marty Eden on the old Kustom Kruisers forum and all he would say was... "I con-duit". :wink:

Point well made..I may have pushing the point -just thinking if 1 would like to eventualy want to put a motor on one of these.
PS..OCD, I got to say that is 1 sweet ride you have there.

OCD said:
I don't think anyone ever brazed as many choppers together from EMT as Marty Eden on the old Kustom Kruisers forum and all he would say was... "I con-duit". :wink:

that was the first person i thought of. sometimes when i'm trying to work out an idea i still think about how i'm "letting my noodle wiggle". what happened to him? is there a gallery of his bikes anywhere? some of them were just flat out art.

Marty's bikes were some of the first full-on kustom bikes I'd seen, I was blown away. He was extremely productive too, at times it seemed like he had a new bike every week! For a tile setter he could sure churn them out. I can't say I was into every bike he did, but as you pointed out some were pure art, of coz they were often graced by the most incredible bikini clad girls (which never hurt :wink: ).

Personally I cut up so many junk bikes I get from the scrap yards I hardly ever need tubing for build projects but when I do I just go to the steel yard and get good steel tubing or something unique that is solid (I.E. Guard rails, Iron railings, mailbox stands, lamp posts, even other bikes can be great inspiration for something new.

Latest posts

Back