Electric Crusier

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my rc motored electric bicycle yesterday

Some before and after shots, shows what was used to construct the bike and the bike in mock-up stage

Before_&_After.jpg

Completed bike powdercoated, painted and chromed..

Custom_RC_Motered_Crusier_Finished_Pics.jpg

Frame is powdercoated in cobalt blue battery enclosure i painted in candy apple blue.

Bikes max speed is 60km/hr (gear limited) range of ~40km on a charge with current battery setup will
be increasing cells to get more range in the near future, bike currently runs 44v 15ah lithium polymer
cells, will be jumping to 66v 15ah setup in coming weeks, expected range will increase as will top
speed (~75kim/hr top speed and 50lm range...) The bike has insane acceleration and
is super comfortable to ride.

Several videos of bike inaction while in mock-up stage as yet no video of completed bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpII8IzRFo

Wheelchair in tow video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ycXp3zXsiY

KiM

Absolutely fantastic, forgive me as I am new on here but is this your first electric cruiser or is it the end result of developememt. And where are you taking your ideas next?

Another youtube vid of this in action. A real impressive bike, by far the best low rider I have ever seen (even though low riders are not my scene)- so much more than almost unrideable rolling art it actualy has a life changing function which is well thought out and executed. No wonder he has a beaming smile on his face. An inspiration to anyone who thinks they will never ride again!!!!!!! And to other builders to look way beyond mere image.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AussieJeste ... dKvb_epcbg

Thankyou all for the positive feedback much appreciated.

Wolf- This is actually my 4th custom built bike, i have built 3 trikes from scratch also (2 to completion)
I have a new build in the design stage quadruple the power of this crusier packed into a custom
carbon fiber frame i will fab.

The crusier though has had a couple of modifications since pictured above, i have had to remove the first stage
belt from the reduction drive and replace it with a #25 chain setup-->

file.php

I have used sprockets from a scooter i found on side of road during council rubbish collection.

video of test spin to show alignment accuracy

Later addition of end washer to prevent sprocket from exiting the motor shaft-->

file.php

The Turnigy outrunner RC motor is producing too much torque for the 5mm pitch belt resulting in severe belt slip under hard acceleration.

file.php

End result...toothless belt :-(

The video link above posted by Wolf is first filmed ride of the cruiser with the chain setup, as you can hear it isn't
alot louder than the belt i will be purchasing one of Recumpence (Matt Shumaker) cnc aluminium covers for the reduction
drive in coming weeks, this will dampen the chain noise even more.

I have also upgraded the front wheel to a high quality 6061 T6 double walled number along with a 180mm disk rotor-->

file.php

Also has a sealed bearing front Velocity hub laced into the rim.

Have had rain last few days so haven't been out as much, i did experience what it
was like to ride an 8hp electric crusier with instant 100% torque on a wet road though SCARY haha
rear wheel breaks loose at the turn of the throttle not only at startup but when your crusing at speed :-|
Suffice to say i have parked the bike up till the road dries, i fallen off too many times and have too many
broke bones to do it again.

Since the rain has stopped me riding i got to re-shaping the rear fender and fitting it up-->

Apologies for pic quality took them late last night
file.php

file.php

file.php

Very happy with the new 'bobbed' fender, obviously totally useless for keeping water off one
while riding haha totally 'for show' only anywayz...Shall drop it at the metal platers next week
for chrome as it has a few spots of rust on it that doesn't gell with the rest of the chrome work to
well haha..

Thanks again fellas.. those interested in my next project can find it (when it begins) in the non hub motor section of the Endless Sphere Forums.

KiM

I checked the youtube clip you posted, and while I was at it I looked at the first ride with the "chain mod", it looks like it rides really well! Oh, and nice helmet! :lol:

Cheers!

So i have succumbed and gone to a complete chain
setup, the good news its more efficient when cruising along @ 30-35 clicks takes
in the area of 20-25amp to maintain this (wheelchair in tow) After riding it for last
couple of days it is apparent the initial belt drive was a lil to low geared for the motor, as yet
though i have not been able to get someone here while i take it for a blat without the chair
as such 60km/hr is as fast as i am game to go with the chair in tow as it starts swaying like a
caravan in the wind around 58clicks, i have tipped it on its side once already when one of
the wheels hit a honkey nut
they are all over the road in some areas this time of year.

The swapping in of the chain on the final drive has definitely improved the performance, i am
used to the look now after sitting perving on it for a few days :lol: and the noise haha there
is no difference whatsoever the motor once past idle is louder than the chain... :)

Few final pics to show the completed instal...and a lil spin up video to :)

Final_RC_Cruiser_Series_Pics_1024ReZ.jpg

click for higher rez pics

Video Of Spin Up with Chain Drive

Shall post some ride video in a few days :)

KiM

Ride Video

My electric bike buddy Matt.P dropped around this lovely afternoon for a ride! I literally taped the camera to my handle bars and we set off for what i planned a loooong ride which i would film the entirety there of...unfortunately about 1/4 of the way the camera turned off :? Was such a fantastic day, nice roads
and two bikes that performed outstandingly well on some pretty serious long drawn out hills, some video of the first part of the ride anywayz-->

YouTube - Matt_&_KiM_Hills_Ride.wmv

You all seen my cruiser here's a few pics of my buddy Matts electric GIANT MTB

nrs51.jpg

nrs52.jpg

nrs53.jpg

nrs54.jpg

Matts bike is fitted with a MAC geared frock motor, powered by 15ah worth of A123 prismatic cells from Cell_Man on Endless Sphere Forum ...Fantastic build very professional Matt...

The vid shal give you fellas an idea of the noise levels of the outrunner, the high pitch whine is full rpm, anything under it doesn't make that noise and while obviously not "silent" it's by no means deafeningly loud...Also obvious by the video is the superior power of the outrunner, considering the MAC Frock motor is 'officially' a 500watt motor it did a pretty good job! I'm disappointed the camera switched off though the best parts of the afternoon ride were missed, we went through some very picturesque parts of the hills, and also extremely hilly which would have showed nicely the ability of the electrics on some serious long drawn out hills.

Thankz for an awesome ride Matt we shall both camera up for the next one and venture a lil further out, IIRC Matt used around half his pack myself ->||<- <--that much over half, the ride length was 22km of which alot was spent above 1/3 throttle. Same ride ridden more conservatively would see waaaaay less battery capacity used.

Back with more laterz...

KiM

walk-a-round Video

Did a short walk-a-round video today it's nothing spectacular i can assure you
it's mainly for those that view it on youtube and haven't seen the
bike in the forum and/or only the ride videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pNAMREF ... r_embedded

I attached yet another cap onto the hv160 input
leads today, that makes it 4 right before the esc itself
plus 3 in Mr Fechters throttle interface, all settings
on the esc turned to low, showers this arvo have not permitted
a ride to see if it has helped with the ripple... Forecast
for rain most of the week after a week of sunshine, ah
well, have to have some Winter...in Winter...i guess
:roll: least its not 4 foot of snow outside :p
I'll wait a few days and it be sunshine again...:mrgreen:

So where to for now? well...time to save some pennies
again then i'll order another Infineon and some of the same
hall sensors Burtie and GWhy are using and see if i can't
get this Outrunner happening on 66 & 88v using the
e-bike controller. Hoping a supply of motors will hit
HK in the intrim. As mentioned previous i will also grab
me one of Matt.S fancy CnCed reduction drive covers, this
will flashen the left hand side of the bike up nicely!

Until then though, i shall attempt to tone down the abuse
to the hv160 in order to prolong its life, at least till i can afford
another Infineon setup. Back then...

KiM

Don't you love it when the postie comes and gives you boxes of stuff
you weren't expecting hahaa...Mr Recumpence SiR :: shakes head:: -->

file.php

AS can be seen i not only have the original M.S reduction drive cover BUT
also the custom hand crafted head badge from Terry Jones,
absolute masterpiece can't believe the detail...

The loudest chain on the bike imo is the #25 higher pitched than the cycle chain
i think this will be just the ticket to knock the chain noise on the head!

Thankyou again Matt, much appreciated.... shall arrange payment as discussed in p.m i sent...

Back with some pics of it fitted tomorrow!

OH...what you guys think , should i spray the recessed area and lettering with the candy blue paint i did
the battery enclosure with? I thought it might look trick make the lettering and recessed areas 'pop' a lil...?

Ok..back soonz

KiM

So I decided not to wait till first light to fit the reduction drive cover
initially i was to pull the left hand side of the drive off and drill it on the drill press as
my hand drill gave up the ghost, luckily one of the lads that came around
last night had a drill in his car! turned a long job into a short one!

M_S_Reduction_Drive_Cover.jpg

^^as can be seen i had to 'mod' the cover slightly, the top fastening 'lug'
i guess you could call it had to go, there was no way i could make the top
sprocket clear it i simply don't have enough shaft length I drilled out the two
remaining holes to fit a 5mm countersunk cap screw in tapped the holes and called it done,
i believe these two are more than enough to hold the drive in place, it is rock solid no movement what
so ever. Now i have bling on BOTH sides of the bike, above shots were taken at night
with flash, i went out this morning in the day light and maaaan it just looks
so sexy ... :wink:

Big thanks to Matt, for this very kind donation to the project, i should re-name
the bike the Matt_Shumaker_inspired_cruiser....... lot of parts on it come from Matt
i tellz ya! Thanks you again buddy, your one of a kind Matt...

KiM

Ride Day WooooTz

New version 2 Turnigy motor installed, the Caslte creation hv160 ESC programmed to 'de-tune' the bike for lil less speed, actually alot less sped about 1/2 what it used to be hopefully more reliability will result.. Fellow Endless Sphere forum member Matt.P and myself took to the hills of Perth for a 23km ride through the hills, below is an account of the trip and a ride video...

I typed the below post out late last night while waiting
for the video to upload to Youtube, long story short after 4 attempts
2 on yourtube (video to long) and 2 on Metcafe (just hung after uploaded)
I went to Vimeo to try my luck there uploading, only to find it has a pissy
500mb limit :roll: SO i re-encoded it to 480p (sorry Luke)
and FINALLY have it on the net! Link n post below.

Ride Day Video!!!

Matt.P and I headed at ~midday yesterday and completed a 23km ride through some of the biggesst mofo hills your likely to see
both bikes performed very well, couple of minor issues, Matt's front hydraulic brake decided it wasn't going to play nice
and was rubbing for a bit around half way through the ride. Small issue for me was the large sprocket on my reduction
drive moved ~3mm causing the sprocket on the opposing end to eeeever so slightly rub on the chain tensioner mount, yes
i Know Luke and ThudSTaR 8) dimples not flats on the shaft just haven't been able to get it done with my
poxy drill set, shall get serious and rectify this ASAP! other than that OH hehe and Matt 'stepping off the bike' when he got
loose in some gravel it was incident free UNTIL we got home, was sitting looking at footage & bike on charge when i
hear this LOUD PssssssssssssssssssssssssssT look out the door into the workshop, the front tire blew out the valve!
(i checked it not 20 minutes prior to the ride, i'm lil paranoid aboiut front wheel blow outs seeing one put me in a wheelchair for life)
The tire pressure was 55psi (Tire rated for 60psi) Both tire and tube are as new so lucky this didnt happen on the ride
when i was tucked up doing near 70 clicks :-|

Some may be unfamiliar with one or the other of both...here's a few stills of the rides-->

Matt.P's 500watt geared MAC Frock equipped A123 prismatic celled Giant full susser MTB-->

nrs51.jpg

nrs52.jpg

nrs53.jpg

nrs54.jpg

nrs50.jpg

And my Custom Cruiser powered by a 80-100 130kv Turnigy and lithium polymer

Final_RC_Cruiser_Series_Pics_1024ReZ.jpg

We covered ~ 23km distance clocking a max of 70km/hr on downhill stretches.
Only bad news really was once again BOTH mine and Matts cameras failed and only captured ~1/2 the ride, We both used our
808s (type 3) Spy cameras for the video. Matt got more than mine did but once again we missed capturing some
of the best scenery the hills has to offer as we passed through the lush green Valleys of Pickering Brook and Carmel,
unsure why this happened, neither cards where even close to full and batteries full charged guess you can't expect
brilliance for a buck forty six :lol: ...next ride i think we will each capture one half of the ride .. OH... battery specifics, Matt,
if i recall correctly you used up in the vicinity of 9ah (400ish wh?) of his 15ah pack...Myself pulled 12ah or (~577wh IIRC) from my
20ah pack. I think if we captured the second half of the ride you guys would be pretty amazed thats all we used .... we
hit some mofo loooong drawn out hills.

Was an AWESOME ride my motor on only one occasion got to a point i couldn't hold my hand on it indefinitely,
this was after ~2km up hilll stretch of Mundaring Weir rd, just before this couple of Lukes fav bikes road on buy us :(
yes Luke we were pwned by a couple of Harley Gayvidsons presumably on their way out to the Weir Hotel...
Missed capturing it though cameras had turned off loooong before this :-(

As you can see, the power is down to just above half of what i was running before, the bike is slightly down on
power it is noticeable on the steeper hills still i managed to hold steady 48km/hr the whole ride on the steepest hills
It does give me a sense of confidence the bike just isn't as 'crazy' as before :: fingers crossed:: reliability will
be improved also and i can keep this bike going while the new bike becomes the money pit "experimental" machine
the cruiser has been till now haha

Hope you all enjoy the footage we captured anywayz, have edited both mine and Matts together has taken
me 4 hours (only to have to ruin it by reducing the quality to 640x480 :roll: apologies if it hurts anyones eyes) :-S -->

Matt & KiMs Hills Ride Video

Matt and I took it very easy the first half of the ride as the second half is the hardest on the bikes much of it run at WOT up
some lengthy hills as you make your way from the bottom of the valley to the top ...
If we went this route again knowing now we have the battery capacity we could raise the cruise speed 5-10 clicks was such a lovely day
out though we weren't in no hurry to get anywhere, as can be seen by the passing cars we kept up a decent pace all
things considered.

Massive thanks to Matt for a thoroughly enjoyable ride :D Only time i get to go on decent ride without
wheelchair in tow is when i am out with Matt so i look forward to ride days immensely! shall be doing it again in a few weeks time
hopefully if Matt is available :wink: I will also *bump the Aussie Roll Call Thread so any West Aussies keen for a group ride (we are thinking on the cycle
path around the Swan River/City and perhaps a bar-b-q meet-n-greet type affair afterwards or a few ales at one of the pubs
along the way, head to the thread and express your interest so we can get numbers and workout
a time that best suits all participants.

Back to working on the new bike today, between long stints on the lounge watching Bathurst 1000

until next ride day that's it for now for me with this thread fellas... 8)

KiM

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the video was shot on a pair of 808s keychain spy cameras We picked up of ebay for $1.46 ..meant to do 90min of video something caused this pair to shut down and as there is no external led when they are on in video mode its hard to tell when they are and aren't working.

Latest posts

Back