ECHO

Discussion in 'BUILT FROM SCRATCH' started by tjwilson, Nov 5, 2018.

1. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thanks. I was aiming to make the cable runs look as deliberate and clean as I could. As with anything though there's always some luck involved.

I know the Chicago Schwinns used some heavy gauge tubing. From the couple of Breeze / Suburban frames I've cut into I'd guess that they're at least a .065" (1.65mm / 16 gauge) wall. I'm assuming the Fastback & Stingray's, as well as other muscle bikes of the era, would be the same or close.

For this build and "Twist" I used a combination of both 16 gauge and .049" (1.24mm / 18 gauge). I also used some pretty thick 3/16" (just over 4.75mm) plate for the dropouts. Tubing wall and dropout thickness, as well as dropout size and tubing diameter are where I'll be looking to save some weight next time around. That thick rear 24" tire isn't exactly light weight either.

RustyGold and Duchess like this.
  2. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thanks. I love the look of the blended welds too. Plus it hides the "quality" of my welds but, it feels like it takes sooooooooo long to do!

RustyGold likes this.
  3. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thank you :happy:

4. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

In person too, definitely more so than any kind of purple.

5. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Wow, thank you very much.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  6. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

In general I've seen them referred to as high rise or ape hangers. Inspiration for these came from early Fastback bars. They had more of a turn down than back towards the rider. There's other muscle bikes that had similar too.

7. Scrap Wolf

Scrap Wolf

Very impressive (again)! Love the orange details on the chain guard and the fact you used the same color for the underside of the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tjwilson likes this.