Ebay Purchase

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know this may belong in some other thread but I thougth I would start here. When you purchase something on ebay and the seller is great, shipps cheap, and fast, but the product is a little on the flakey side, what to do you do. The reason I ask is I just bought some Mtn Bike pedals and they were very resonable and shipped quickly and they are advertised as New but not original parts. Problem: When turning the pedals on the axels, they do not spin freely, feel kind of like the bearings have little or no lubrication. Is that common of new pedals?

I have contacted the seller to get some input, but I have not heard from him yet.
Asuming he is no help, my gut says to leave a neutral feedback, with great marks on the seller but low on the product?

Input is appriciated.

I buy alot on Ebay and only had one bad deal and it was corrected as soon as I made contact with the seller.But to answer you question. The neg. or neutral feedback is probly the worst and last thing the seller wants and is a great tool if he is a decent person. If the item was posted advertise in an incorrect way he looses, Ebay will back you. They have that free buyer protection program. I would give him every chance to make ir right and then let er rip ! p. s. I have never sold on Ebay I always buy .good luck.

If they are new its possible they aren't lubricated well, or are simply adjusted too tight from the factory. The last set of pedals I bought (name brand bmx) were way overtightened and would not spin without much resistance. They were in factory packaging and it's not like the retailer is going to inspect and test every part so its not their fault. A quick adjustment and they were ready to go. Are your new pedals adjustable? If so I'd just fix them and put some decent grease in there. If the aren't adjustable I would ask for a refund.

Thanks for the replies. I plan on giving him the benifit of the doubt, but I still expet a seller to back his product.

They are not adjustable that I can see. We will see, I'll keep you updated.

i have a bunch of nos pedals from the late 70's early 80's and the don't spin well out of the package but I put a real small shot of wd40 in there and spin them a few times and then they are good to go.

put a little light oil in them and let them sit overnight to drain down into both of the bearings. usually they spin freely after that. in my experience, this is common with new pedals. if they are really hard to turn, return them.

Don't give ANY feedback until the seller has an opportunity to make you happy. Wait until the end of your experience with him. If you give bad feedback and he bends over backwards to make things "right" for you, you can't change the bad feedback, he is stuck with it, even tho you are happy. Consider his position as well as your own before you do anything.

For pedals my trick has been I have an oil squirt can full of 2 stroke engine oil and will give each pedal a squirt or two into the bearings and work it around. It is just the right consistency work itself in there but stay in there. Has worked great for me. (Works great on freewheels and makes them whisper quiet too) :wink:

I use Tri-flow oil on my pedals. WD40 will collect dust and you don't want dirt in your pedals. Just a small amount of Tri-flow stand pedal on end for a short time and spin, It's smooth and ready to ride this will also work on rusty pedals.

I am not sure but i think the pedals have sealed bearing. Here is a pic of the ones I bought. Per the sellers request I did install them and while riding, I did not feel any problems, but they did not loosen up. Still waiting for sellers response after I informed them of that.
Here are the type of pedals I purchased.
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... mAg&zoom=1

you CAN change a feedback. I left a nasty for the vendor who sold me the bike rack that broke after 15 minutes. He offered me a new one at no charge, IF I changed the feedback. He had to start the change,thru ebay. I gave him a positive,after I got the second piece of crap rack.

Well I decided to take a 10% refund and keep the pedals. Gave them a positive feedback to the seller, but warned aginst the product.

Latest posts

Back