Ebay issue... maybe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had a klaxon style horn up on the bay. First I had to cancel a bid because the guy had 0 feedback and it was a new account, and I don't roll like that on the expensive stuff. Finally bidding ends and the winner is located in Singapore. I had it clear in my auction that shipping is U.S. only, both in the settings and the details. I explain this, so now he changes his confirmed paypal address to a hotel in the U.S. Says he will be there for a couple of weeks about a month from now. I contacted ebay. They said that his confirmed ebay address would have had to be changed to that same address before he bid in order for me to be afforded any seller protection whatsoever. He says that the hotel staff has agreed to receive the package and lock it away for him. I personally don't know what to do. I hate to back out of a sale, but once the details get too odd, I feel all bets are off. I don't trust a hotel to keep an item safe and secure for a month or more. I also don't like having to wait for over a month to even have hope of finding out whether the item is satisfactory for him. If the item is not to his liking, I'll have to foot the bill for original shipping, plus return shipping from who-knows-where. Or else face negative feedback. It could be 100% legit. Any ideas? What would you do?

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly. I don't understand how he was even able to bid if he did so on his Singapore account and you had the auction settings set for U.S. only. In my years of experience selling on eBay blocked locations can't bid. Or did he bid after switching to the U.S. hotel address?

Cancel the transaction due to improper shipping demands. If he leaves negative feedback, ebay will remove it since it wasn't within your sales guidelines. Offer it to the second highest bidder, odds are he'll take it and you'll only lose the incremented bid.

What JC8 said

And for what it's worth, I get foreigners buying my clearly marked US ONLY items regularly. It's annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the buyer has paid using pay-pal and he wants the item shipped to an alternate address I would also do return receipt along with a tracking number. I would definitely make sure he send this request through ebay messaging. Of course you will have all of this as proof of the shipping as requested by the buyer and give you ammo in you defense if buyer tries to call foul for item not received. Or, you could stick to your guns and cancel the sell since you obviously stated that sell was for US CONFIRMED ADDRESS ONLY.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly. I don't understand how he was even able to bid if he did so on his Singapore account and you had the auction settings set for U.S. only. In my years of experience selling on eBay blocked locations can't bid. Or did he bid after switching to the U.S. hotel address?
I didn't block bidders because I always do and lately it was showing up already blocking them. But in the section where you select the countries you ship to, mine was only U.S. Plus I stated it in the description. So far the guy is telling me he is a big shot for a big company and that I have to trust that things will go as he says, etc.

I didn't block bidders because I always do and lately it was showing up already blocking them. But in the section where you select the countries you ship to, mine was only U.S. Plus I stated it in the description. So far the guy is telling me he is a big shot for a big company and that I have to trust that things will go as he says, etc.

Cancel the transaction. End the convo. Sell it to the second highest bidder. Plain and simple, not worth the risk. Contact ebay again and tell them the exact situation and see if they will block any effort he will have in leaving negative feedback. Also figure out exactly why he was able to bid to begin with.

That's my thought. Definitely not worth the risk. Anybody that is insistent in bending the terms of the sale can't be trusted. It's just a klaxon horn, there's loads of em out there, he can just grab the next one.

That's my thought. Definitely not worth the risk. Anybody that is insistent in bending the terms of the sale can't be trusted. It's just a klaxon horn, there's loads of em out there, he can just grab the next one.

It's either that or send it to someone you know who lives in that area and have him meet that person while in town. A 3rd party like a hotel is a no for sure.

Latest posts

Back