RRBBO13 Dyno twin-flex special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sooo...I still can't decide on a title, but this will be a decent place holder...
I wasn't sure if I should throw my hat in the ring for the build off coz there's already a Dyno thread, but I have a couple of ideas...I love fully dressed cruisers for a start, so I'll be making a tank and playing around with fender lights. Custom shifter.

I've had this '99 Dyno glide deluxe for about 3 years. It was really grindy in the bottom bracket, and when I took it apart I found the ball bearing retainer on one side had imploded. I had a US to Euro BB adapter, so I threw that in, and haven't touched the bike since. Got rid of the original wheelset on a cheapy cruiser I sold. I have a similar set of rims that I'll build into a sachs drum up front and either a sachs 3 speed coaster or a Sturmey S5 in the back. Not sure what to do about paint, and hoping the only cost will be spokes.

IMG20180505164928.jpg

The wishbone stem and layback seatpost should give me a better fit on the bike. Also want to play around with new fender stays

Anytime we can incorporate something that our dads owned, it's cool. Adds a bit of history and nostalgia, and for me, these vintage builds are all about that!

RaT oN~!

I didn't get much done - not from being juxtipated - my weekend was taken up with my wifes birthday and mothers day (plus helping my mum with stuff at her place). Also my bank balance is now completely munted, so I've harvested spokes rather than buying them. I think I'll go with the Sachs coaster 3 speed in the rear to cut down on cables, hopefully a 4 cross lacing will make these spokes fit. I bought these Sachs front drums cheap a couple of years ago, they both looked like the oxidised one, and I had to use fine sandpaper before polishing to get it to this shiny. Spokes should be a perfect fit 3 cross.

IMG20180513193133.jpg

I really like these rims - kinda ol timey 'Westrick' profile, and they're polishing up nicely - BUT I'm now thinking of painting them the same cream as the front end of the Dyno. I've got brown Fat Franks I want to use and I think the cream & brown could look cool.

IMG20180513193455.jpg

Question - has anyone darkened brown fat franks? I have a light coloured leather saddle I want to dye dark brown (different project), and was thinking that leather dye might work.

Try minwax gel stain

Thanks Kingfish, I didn't think of wood stain...and since this is now a zero dollar build I'll definitely give it a try :) I think I have a nice dark red brown Jarrah stain in the shed

Prepped and etch primed the rims today, and then pulled apart the springer forks from the Dyno, and these forks I bought about 10 years ago when the AU$ was almost worth the same as the US$ :)
IMG20180519164903.jpg

I'm going to use the chrome spring, spring retainer and struts with the old school springer main legs and fork steerer tube. I've cleaned and sanded these ready for primer and paint tomorrow. The chrome struts are a little bit long so I'll have to tweak them to fit.
Are the older ones Schwinn forks? Bolt heads are marked 'AS' >Edit: Yes, just learnt AS stands for 'Arnold Schwinn'
Tomorrow I'm picking up a sheet of Al from my MIL's back yard so I can start on the tank.

Last edited:
First few challenges :) ...
I shot the cream onto the rims but it's too light (a colour called New Vanilla). They look too white against the black parts of the bike. At least I got on some nice paint coverage so I can give them a light rub back and shoot some true cream over the top.
One of the fork legs is bent. I tried to straighten it but ended up straightening either side of the bend :( . I got those curves back to where they should be, and tomorrow I'll take the fork legs to a bike mechanic who has straightened out a bent fork leg for me previously. I was looking forward to getting these primed and painted this weekend - it's winter here and the days are short. The chrome fork parts cleaned up well for a bike that had spent a lot of time weathering outside.
Challenge 3: I want fatter tyres than my budget will allow :) I really like the 26 x 3 'serpentine' tyres (rom the Scwinn Aerovane cruiser), but they would be $100 for a shipped pair. So far my only cost is paint, so I'll see what I can do. Might have to sell some stuff

Last edited:
That's a pretty good idea on the wood stain, but whatever stain you use, you might want to try a leather deglazer first. The commercial product is cheap, but if you have alcohol and acetone around that should probably do the trick as well (or xylene, probably, but that stuff is nasty and definitely wear gloves as it gets absorbed through the skin and can stay in your system for months IIRC what they told us in school after having one of the students stand up in class and display the extensive art he had drawn on his chest and stomach with xylene-based markers. That said, if you ever want to use art markers, the xylenes blow away the alcohol-based ones functionally and they last much longer with more consistent performance.). Wait, do you mean dying a leather saddle or the tire? My advice is for the saddle—I wouldn't use acetone on rubber.

For some reason, I find that the right cream paint seems to be difficult to find—either too white or too yellow.

Yes the tyre for this build...thanks that's a really good idea with prepping the tyre with something. Alcohol should be safe on rubber shouldn't it?

Yeah the existing cream on the dyno is a really nice kinda 'dirty' cream, as you say not too white or yellow. The other cream they had at the shop looked more like this...but I didn't have the bike with me to compare dagnabbit

Last edited:
I had a labor hire job years ago that involved washing sheets of steel with toluene before gluing the steel sheets to cement sheets. Zero safety gear. Nasty stuff...i reacted to all sorts of things for years afterwards...I had to make my daughter paint her nails outside because the smell made me feel so sick.

I want to change the build name to Dyno something. The idea for the build is to make it 'fully dressed' - tank, fender headlight, skirts. I like the curves of the Dyno frames, and I've done a few drawings to help decide on making fakey sprung rear struts. It makes the rear of the bike look more 'rounded out'...and cool :)
Here's a few thoughts:
Dyno Twin-flex
Dyno Glide Twin-flex
Dyno Deluxe Twin-flex
Dyno Glide Classic
Dyno Glide Special

Last edited:
Dyno Mite would be a good name for a muscle bike or other 20" wheeled one! Since yours is a big boy bike, how about:

' Dyno-Mighty' !

Dynosaur T-Flex

:) great ideas, but I need something a bit more classic 40's 50's to fit the 'could have been' idea. Also as a model name to write on the tank like the 'glide deluxe' is on the Dyno top tube. I like 'special' as it was used on cars here in Australia. I think it was 40's 50's there was a standard model and then the special had extra trim, more chrome, two tone paint. In the 60's they brought in 'Premier' as another level of cool. You might get metallic paint and a nicer radio amongst other extras with a premier badge.

Anyway so maybe I'll go with Dyno Twinflex Special. I'lll sleep on it and see how it fits in the morning (over here)

Last edited:
OK I've sat on the fence for a while about what to call this build, and coz it's a kind of 'what if Dyno had made a fully dressed classic' kinda build... I will for now at least, call it Dyno twin-flex special. Hope that fits on the tank

Wecome Aussie winter...
I was going to post some pics of how the paint is going but the pics turned out pretty crappy :)
Rims are painted, I stuck with the 1st 'New Vanilla' cream coz I couldn't find anything better. Got the overly bent forks into the right shape, primered and painted black.
Had another go at polishing the sachs front drum - I put some washers and a bolt though it so I could chuck it into my drill press and spin that thing shiny...worked great. Needed to order ball bearings for it though.
Ordered BBQ handle springs for the rear faux springer.
Got some pin-striping tape. I JUST NEED IT TO STOP being so cold and wet so I can keep painting!!! I was going to lace the front drum into a rim after work today but too cold brrrr.

I like the name... you could get a 'Special' chrome script badge from a Holden to have on it somewhere... perhaps the tank if you get two or the chaingaurd if you get only one. This type perhaps...

special_holden_ej-eh_series.jpg

I'm feeling the cold too here in New Zealand... and we're still in Autumn, so it's not even winter yet :eek:

Glen.

arg...lost my original response trying to load images

Yes we're on the same page Glen, this would be totally cool x 1 gazillion & the icing on the tank cake
I like the one you've shown the best but they can be a bit pricey, I might be lucky there are some starting their auctions lower...
These kinds go for a bit less and are still cool:

special.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

3 for $25 - these might work nicely on the tank...or there's this:

bogan.jpg
NOOooooooo! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back