DXnard - Class 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon, school me!
IMG_20181019_130200_672.jpg

....and love the school bus drawing Dave! I don't know if you knew or not, but I drive school bus here in our district.

Your concept and style gets all my lights flashing! :grin:

....and love the school bus drawing Dave! I don't know if you knew or not, but I drive school bus here in our district.

Your concept and style gets all my lights flashing! :grin:
Thanks! I have a couple of friends who drive school buses, and I thought a derelict, converted into a school itself, seemed like an interesting take on the subject.

I have been considering that. For test rides, I found an old black-oxide coated KT brake strap. Definitely in need of something cooler for the finished version.

Anything with an acorn nut on it will look tougher than a plain fastener...

Carl.

The fork looks industrial...the chainring looks industrial...how about replacing the whole brake arm with something more industrial to carry the theme to the rear, like a turnbuckle or threaded rod with heim joints or something?

Jason
Mostly because it's a 1937 Morrow hub, and I've been wanting one for years, so i can't see ditching the brake arm with that logo on it. That being said, I may be able to come up with something to secure it that looks a little more like it came out of a machine shop or foundry.

I’ve played around with using battery terminals. They also provide a mounting point for a tail light.
d8eaa487c36ff863ad536ca2b2de3f39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're usually made from some pretty soft stuff, though. We have some decent hills around here - I want to make sure that what little brake I have actually works.

I know this is usually the opposite direction of where I'd be going but... isn't there a reason for the Whizzer brake arm? So why do that here? Almost looks like a Rube Goldberg design.

Carl.

I know this is usually the opposite direction of where I'd be going but... isn't there a reason for the Whizzer brake arm? So why do that here? Almost looks like a Rube Goldberg design.

Carl.

From the design, I infer that the Whizzer brake linkage was designed to keep the hub's arm from possibly bending the chainstay under repeated, panic braking. I can see the same reasoning behind using it in a hilly area, like the one in which I live.

Latest posts

Back